NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu install error message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am trying to newly install nPVR on my Ubuntu PC.  I am getting this response...

$ sudo apt install ./nextpvr-helper.deb --install-recommends

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'nextpvr-helper' instead of './nextpvr-helper.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nextpvr-helper : Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable or
                          libssl1.1 (>= 1.1) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What can I do?

Thanks!
I assume you are running 22.0.4 and if you read my announcement Microsoft does not support netcore 3.1 on it. Can you build a Linux binary?

Martin
(2022-05-04, 02:12 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]I assume you are running 22.0.4 and if you read my announcement Microsoft does not support netcore 3.1 on it.  Can you build a Linux binary?

Hi Martin

Sorry, with my skill level, I have a buckleys chance of building a Linux binary!

Happy to change to a different distro, it's a new install. 

Can you please suggest a distro - something that you know it will work straight off? I'm fairly comfortable with Debian though, if that's possible.

Thanks!

Cheers,
skris88
Ubuntu 21 or 20 if you want LTS and Debian hasn't upgraded yet. Depending on your tuner I can't guarantee any os support it.

Martin
(2022-05-04, 02:38 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu 21 or 20 if you want LTS and  Debian hasn't upgraded yet.  Depending on your tuner I can't guarantee any os support it.

Martin

I prefer Xubuntu so will go with on that - but a 21 release.

I am using an Ethernet based HDHOMERUN device as my tuner, so it should be fine (worked before when I tried it on Windows 10 when nPVR v5 was just released).

Thanks!
Anything Debian based is easy and Silicon Dust tuners have excellent support on Linux. 21 is EOL in a couple of months and sub might have a netcore 6 major version build by then but it will be tight which is why I mentioned LTS. The issue is with Microsoft not NextPVR

Martin
(2022-05-04, 03:05 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Anything Debian based is easy and Silicon Dust tuners have excellent support on Linux.  21 is EOL in a couple of months and  sub might have a netcore 6 major version  build by then but it will be tight which is why I mentioned LTS.  The issue is with Microsoft not NextPVR

Martin

Ahh, that makes sense re EOL time.  Good point! 

I am in the process of installing v21 at the moment but will restart with Xububtu v20

Thanks Martin, much appreciated!
(2022-05-04, 02:12 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]I assume you are running 22.0.4 and if you read my announcement Microsoft does not support netcore 3.1 on it.  Can you build a Linux binary?

Martin

I did have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with NextPVR working well .. then upgraded to v20 .. then v22.04 for other needs ... upon seeing this message I gave up for a short while until I found the docker image!

NextPVR is working well running in a docker container on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS  .. I should also note I have HDHomeRun connect tuners on my LAN ... all working 100% Big Grin
(2022-06-05, 04:53 PM)NextPVR-consumer Wrote: [ -> ]NextPVR is working well running in a docker container on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS  .. I should also note I have HDHomeRun connect tuners on my LAN ... all working 100% Big Grin

Hi, 

Did you get the FTA EPG working with HDHomeRun and Ubuntu?  

I know that with Windows there was a trick I had to use to configure and use a different "source" instead, but how does one do so in a Debian distro?
@NextPVR-Consumer FWIW installing v5 with Ubuntu 22.04 isn't that difficult if you want to install libssl1.1. from the old apt source I noted in the instructions. Sub has a new update that fully supports netcore 6 coming out soon.

@skris88, better to move off topic questions to a new thread. Debian, Ubuntu and Docker are pretty much equivalent wrt v5.

Martin
Pages: 1 2