NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Moving NextPVR to new system (linux)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm trying to work out the steps I need to follow to move my existing NextPVR setup to a new system.

So far, I've installed NextPVR on the new machine using the .deb file and its running in a 'clean' state. The old machine was also installed using the .deb file.

The main change is going to be the recordings location which was /mnt/MyPassport/NextPVR/recordings and is now going to be /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings

In terms of the steps to follow, I've got:

1. Copy recordings from old location to new
2. Stop nextpvr service on both computers
3. Move npvr.db3 and config.xml in /var/opt/nextpvr to the same location on the new computer

Is this right and what else do I need to do?
Make sure that the directory can be read and written too.

2.a

backup npvr.db3 and config.xml

edit config.xml to

<AutoRemoveMissingRecordings>false</AutoRemoveMissingRecordings>
<CheckForRenamedRecordings>false</CheckForRenamedRecordings>
<NoRemoveWhenTreeMissing>true</NoRemoveWhenTreeMissing>

3. copy not move.

4. Use NextTool to import the recordings I think --merge will change the filenames but I can't remember.
Thanks, I'm reading the wiki on NextTool here and a couple of questions:

1. Do I run this on the old system or new one - I assume its the new one.
2. What command would I have to give? Is sudo -u nextpvr /opt/dotnet/dotnet /opt/nextpvr/system/NextTool.dll --merge /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings the right command for me?
3. Why do I need to change the file names?
The full path is stored with the recording
Thanks, do I run nexttool on the new system once I've moved the recordings and is the above command the right one?
It updates the database on the system you run it on, so yes on the new machine

I would probably run this in case of a typo

Code:
cd /opt/nextpvr/system
sudo -u nextpvr /opt/dotnet/dotnet NextTool.dll --merge /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings

I'd first make sure I could record new recording to that folder to check permissions and stress the importance of doing this on a backup.

Martin
I'm going to give this a try this weekend and will report back on the results.

What's the difference between between using --merge and --import? I have all of the xml metadata files available for the recordings.
Merge simply replaces the full path/filename when a filename match is found. Import will add files not in the database, and uses a few tricks to get as much metadata as it can. If you have the metadata there wouldn't be much different for the imported files but the old recording would be there until you changed config.xml settings to have NextPVR remove them.

Martin
I've followed the steps in this thread but when I enter the --merge NextTool command I get a SQLite Error 14 as follows. Any ideas on how to resolve?

Code:
/opt/nextpvr/system$ cd /opt/nextpvr/system
/opt/nextpvr/system$ sudo -u nextpvr /opt/dotnet/dotnet NextTool.dll --merge /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings/
NEXTPVR_INSTALLDIR /opt/nextpvr/system/
NEXTPVR_DATADIR /opt/nextpvr/system/data/
NEXTPVR_DATADIR_USERDATA /var/opt/nextpvr/
SQLite Error 14: 'unable to open database: /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings/'.

If I run ls -lR /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings/ I can see all my recordings from my previous system so its definately the correct path.
Also, this is the output from NextTool.log

Code:
[...startup]
2023-01-07 21:21:24.968    [DEBUG][1]    NextTool, Version=2.2.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
2023-01-07 21:21:24.983    [INFO][1]    Using remote RecordingService
2023-01-07 21:21:24.983    [DEBUG][1]    Database: /var/opt/nextpvr/npvr.db3
2023-01-07 21:21:25.088    [INFO][1]    --merge /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings/
2023-01-07 21:21:25.088    [DEBUG][1]    Attach '/mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings/' as oldversion
2023-01-07 21:21:25.110    [ERROR][1]    SQLite Error 14: 'unable to open database: /mnt/data/NextPVR/recordings/'.
Pages: 1 2