NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Keyboard hot keys not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Guys,

New to Nextpvr. I have successfully set it up in linux mint (ver 20.3) running an xbox usb tuner.
The only hot key that works on the keyboard is the space bar which pauses live TV.
No other keys work. Some keys bring up native browser shortcuts, e.g bookmarks.
I have tried both chrome & firefox with the same results. Couldn't see anything in the settings menu.
Log file attached. Nextpvr ver 6.1.2.230502

Any help appreciated

Regards,
Andrew
It looks like the browser UI client does not support control keys. Arrows, enter, escape, home etc and the mouse should work to get most things working.

Martin
Thanks Martin,

Yes the mouse works but would be much easier using the keyboard for some functions.
Is this something limited to linux installations?

Andrew
No it is the browser UI client not handling the control or alt key. I am not sure if browser shortcut keys can (or should) be overwritten either.

Not knowing what sub's solution might be, for now you can modify /opt/nextpvr/system/data/KeyMappings.xml and remove all the {CTRL} references so it is one letter command it will work but then real direct play UI clients won't. A better hack to make all the letter keys send control by modifying /opt/nextpvr/system/wwwroot/uiclient.html and inserting the if function in lines 218-220 as shown will let

Code:
function processKeyEvent(keyCode) {
            if (keyCode >= 65 || keyCode <= 90) {
                keyCode += 0x20000;
            }

Of course on Linux you can always use Kodi and and use either the dedicated NextPVR client or use the UI client in knewc with the benefit of direct play. I am working on creating aUI client for Linux too.

Martin
FYI, that uiclient.html is a fairly recent experiment, that attempts to force a UI client into a web page. I don't think I've ever had any feedback from users about it, so it's admittedly not very well tested.

The attached an updated uiclient.html that should behave better with ctrl keys etc.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have a play with the key mappings in the coming days.
My main issue is changing channels. If I'm in a full screen I need to hit ESC and use the mouse
to do this. It would be much easier to use the +/- keys.

I did try the other UI client from the settings menu and the hot keys do work but it's somewhat
unstable on my system. It tends to freeze on channel changes.
I'm not a fan of Kodi so it's not really an option at this stage.

Andrew
I don't think there is much keyboard support in the standard web player itself, I saw the UI client in the logs that is what I thought you meant. Don't expect STB Live TV channel change experience with transcoded playback.

knewc for Kodi gives you the UI client with the advantage of direct play so channel changes would probably be better. You can autostart it and not even see Kodi.

Martin
Oh yeah, the normal web app pages totally have no keyboard control, and are entirely intended to be driven by the mouse. scrolling, clicking etc.

The only part of the web app with keyboard control is that uiclient.html
Quote:knewc for Kodi gives you the UI client with the advantage of direct play so channel changes would probably be better. You can autostart it and not even see Kodi.

This maybe an option worth looking at. Thanks Martin
Had a play today with the Kodi / Knewc setup mentioned above. I found the performance no better then the browser UI.
For the time being I will stick with the browser UI, I know it's subjective but I much prefer this over the Kodi interface.
I look forward to a dedicated linux client.

Andrew
Pages: 1 2