NextPVR Forums

Full Version: nextPVR support Hauppauge 01595?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Model 01595 is a thumb drive sized ATSC dual tuner with a USB interface.  I would like to use it to enable a laptop to be a temp dvr
Thanks in advance ...
Hauppauge tuner are well supported by NextPVR. NextPVR does support many platforms though if your laptop is Windows you should be ok.

Martin
Thanks for your FAST reply! I have acquired a Hauppauge 1595 WINTV DUAL HD ASTC usb video capture device. But when I fired up NextPVR, the software identified the 1595 as an "IPTV" device - obviously not very correct. The first NextPVR software I used was v 4.1.1. I then installed v 6.1.3.230521 - same result - "IPTV".
Next step was to see if the Hauppauge supplied dvr/live tv software would function differently. I installed WinTV v10 from Hauppauge (supplied with the 1595) - worked fine. The channel search found 65 OTA channels, and Live TV and recordings worked correctly.
The laptop used is an HP, Windows 10, fully patched.
I have been using NextPVR and GB-PVR since v 1.4.7, and I hope you will be able to straighten me out, here - NextPVR is the only way to go, IMHO.
Thanks again in advance ...
If you started NextPVR server before inserting the device, you need to click the rescan devices button and then ctrl-f5 to get the updated list in the browser. Or just restart the server.

If this doesn't work this is a support request now so you need to send the zipped logs from the setting screen.

Martin
(2023-06-15, 03:09 PM)RedDawg Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your FAST reply! I have acquired a Hauppauge 1595 WINTV DUAL HD ASTC usb video capture device. But when I fired up NextPVR, the software identified the 1595 as an "IPTV" device - obviously not very correct. The first NextPVR software I used was v 4.1.1. I then installed v 6.1.3.230521 - same result - "IPTV".
If you're not seeing the device listed, then it sounds like you haven't installed the drivers for the device.

Quote:Next step was to see if the Hauppauge supplied dvr/live tv software would function differently. I installed WinTV v10 from Hauppauge (supplied with the 1595) - worked fine. The channel search found 65 OTA channels, and Live TV and recordings worked correctly.
As Martin said, after you installed the drivers, you either need to restart NextPVR, or hit the 'Rescan for Devices' button.
Liftoff we have!! A click on the Rescan button found 2 ATSC and 2 QAM tuners, and a channel scan recorded 7 more channels than the WinTV app.
We're back on the air - much thanks!
One more post for clarification (& education) that I obviously need. When Sub said "If you're not seeing the device listed, then it sounds like you haven't installed the drivers for the device", I said "drivers? what drivers? this is a USB device - usb devices are 'plug & play', no stinking drivers needed." So I just plugged in the 1595, fired up NextPVR and expected everything to work. I have to admit that previous Hauppauge products I have used, the 1600 and 2250, came with a CD that installed the drivers. Hauppauge has now apparently decided to include the drivers with the WIN-TV app (during the WIN-TV install, there was a message stating "installing drivers"), but nowhere in the Hauppauge supplied docs does it mention that you HAVE to install WIN-TV in order to install the drivers.
It seems that Hauppauge is marketing the 1595 as a Windows-only product, in that you must install WIN-TV to install the drivers, even if you don't want the WIN-TV app. So I you want to use the 1595 on a Linux box (which is where I am headed), you are SOL unless there are some Linux drivers somewhere out there that I am unaware of.
So should I stand corrected, and understand that all video capture cards WILL need drivers installed?
Thanks again ...
You are wrong. USB devices need drivers and firmware. Sometimes they are bundled with Windows sometimes the are not.

Hauppauge and b-rad provide reasonable support Linux better than most. I would try it an see. Perhaps make a LibreELEC boot USB and try it out and see.

Martin
(2023-06-16, 03:25 PM)RedDawg Wrote: [ -> ]When Sub said "If you're not seeing the device listed, then it sounds like you haven't installed the drivers for the device", I said "drivers? what drivers? this is a USB device - usb devices are 'plug & play', no stinking drivers needed." So I just plugged in the 1595, fired up NextPVR and expected everything to work.
So all devices you plugin via USB need to have drivers. Until the drivers are installed, there is no way for applications to talk to these devices.

If it's a hard drive, or flash drive, these are pretty much all designed to use the universal storage driver included with Windows, so you don't need to install any special driver. (ie, it's already installed)

When it comes to TV tuners, there is some small number of devices that will automatically download their drivers from Microsoft when you plug them in (based on the VID/PID of the device). Most TV tuners you'll need you to download the drivers and install them yourself. For Hauppauge devices, the usual way to get them installed is by installing the WinTV software, which runs driver installer as a first step.

Hauppauge usually offer their driver download separately (on the support their page for the device) for those people that don't want to install WinTV. (for example, with your device https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/...ml#drivers)

Quote:It seems that Hauppauge is marketing the 1595 as a Windows-only product, in that you must install WIN-TV to install the drivers, even if you don't want the WIN-TV app. So I you want to use the 1595 on a Linux box (which is where I am headed), you are SOL unless there are some Linux drivers somewhere out there that I am unaware of.
On Linux, they include drivers for many common tuners, compiled right into the linux kernel. Sometimes the devices wont work by simply plugging in the device though - often you'll need to download a firmware file and copy it to /lib/firmware.

On Linux another way you can get drivers for TV tuners is via PPA. As Martin mentioned, Hauppauge is one of the better manufacturers on this front, and do a pretty good job supporting their tuners. Info here https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/...linux.html

Quote:So should I stand corrected, and understand that all video capture cards WILL need drivers installed?
Yes.