NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Server Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Just a short query regarding suggestions for my particular use case.

I'd intend to use NextPVR through Kodi clients on any one of 2 windows PCs and a RPi 4- it's primarily 5000-6000 IPTV channels, no VODs, and no intention of recording TV. Ideally I would like the server to run 24/7.

I use a customised m3u link where some channels have XML EPG data assigned and the rest through schedules direct. 

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
One recommendation for you... I'd be more selective of the IPTV channels you import. No one really watches 5000-6000 TV channels.

If I were you, I'd only import the channel groups you're really interested in. Having only a couple of hundred TV channels will help everything perform better, and give a more enjoyable experience.
A few months back I started using a Beelink S12, which low-cost server, with Intel N95 CPU. It's proved to be a good capable server, which I use for a few clients around the house. I paid something like US$128+shipping, when aliexpress was having a sale. Ultimately something that speed or faster should be decent for your usage.
I agree with sub sending 5000-6000 channels to Kodi would be wrong for a PVR with EPG.

Before spending any money I'd use on of your Windows PCs and see how it works. WOL from on startup/wake in Kodi works pretty well if you don't want to have your Windows server on 24/7 when you don't leave the client fully on.

Try an leave EPG updates to once a day.

Martin
I use a HP Z4 G4 workstation (Windows 11) for my backend PVR server that runs 24/7 in the garage. Mainly as I needed something capable of holding all the tuners cards: 2 x Quad DVB-T2 and 1 x Dual DVB-S2 plus enough drive bays for the media storage: 2 x 1GB SSD for live recordings and 2 x 7GB Sata for Films, TV series, Music and Pictures etc...
As well as running NextPVR, it runs Plex mediaserver to share the media and the Xeon 6 core CPU and Quadro P4000 GPU help Plex with sharing the files and transcoding the streams.
The setup allows me to access all my Live TV and media where ever I am travelling to, plus share it with remote family. Its been really stable and has had no issues whatsoever in the 3 years its been up and running.
(2023-08-12, 06:14 PM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]A few months back I started using a Beelink S12, which low-cost server, with Intel N95 CPU. It's proved to be a good capable server, which I use for a few clients around the house. I paid something like US$128+shipping, when aliexpress was having a sale. Ultimately something that speed or faster should be decent for your usage.

How do you handle data storage? I've seen those mini's come with around 500 GB drives. That wouldn't be large enough for me, plus I would like to keep my data storage separate from the system drive.
https://www.bee-link.com/beelink-mini-s1...pc-clone-1

Storage
1x M.2 2280 NVMe SSD (500GB preinstalled, upgradeable to 2TB) 1x 2.5" 7mm SATA III HDD/SSD (expandable to 2TB)

so you can put 4TB in it (plus external USB3 drives). Leave the 500GB M.2 for the OS and Live TV temp folder and get a 1-2TB SSD (or HDD) for recordings. Or get a (more expensive) 2TB M.2 and partition it with (say) 150GB for windows and 1.85TB for recordings.
(2024-02-15, 11:02 PM)jrockow Wrote: [ -> ]How do you handle data storage? I've seen those mini's come with around 500 GB drives. That wouldn't be large enough for me, plus I would like to keep my data storage separate from the system drive.
I'm generally a record - watch - delete kind of guy. I've usually got less than a dozen shows recorded that I haven't watched.

You could upgrade the M.2 drive, or stick a 1-2TB USB thumbdrive in one of the usb ports, or use network storage, etc.
(2024-02-16, 12:41 AM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]
(2024-02-15, 11:02 PM)jrockow Wrote: [ -> ]How do you handle data storage? I've seen those mini's come with around 500 GB drives. That wouldn't be large enough for me, plus I would like to keep my data storage separate from the system drive.
I'm generally a record - watch - delete kind of guy. I've usually got less than a dozen shows recorded that I haven't watched.

You could upgrade the M.2 drive, or stick a 1-2TB USB thumbdrive in one of the usb ports, or use network storage, etc.

Thanx, I went with network storage.