NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Tuner Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a  Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD tuner card which has served me well. I am now wanting to install a second tuner card so I can install an another antenna to additional channels from the other direction. I am wondering if I use a different tuner card if it would be better able to pull in channels from a further distance or does a tuner make little distance. In other others do tuners have the ability to amplify the signal before pushing it out to the TV or recording it.  I know (or at least been told) it makes a difference for car stereos, so I was wondering if it makes a difference in this case.

Anybody know if putting in an inline amplifier would help?

Thank You
There typically is amplification before splits on multi-tuner device. A good antenna aimed correctly is much better than amplification if that is your question.

Martin
(2023-09-01, 11:19 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]There typically is amplification before splits on multi-tuner device.  A good antenna aimed correctly is much better than amplification if that is your question.

Martin

That sort of answers my question. Problem I have  (I assume others have similar issues) is that I have channels that range from 7.5 degrees to 223.3 degrees. Some of these channels do not come in very strong. I was hoping to be able to improve some of them.

I want to make sure that I am getting everything out of my PVR that I can.
I am in the same boat, we have two towers and they are 302 and 180 for me and I have to make tradeoffs especially in the summer with trees. I am in a bungalow that doesn't help. I bought a an antenna combiner and it actually helps a little, but separate antennas do work much better.

Martin
I currently have two antennas, one for UHF and one for VHF. Problem is they are pointed in the basically the same direction. Which is why I am considering putting up a third.

Oh and yea, being surround by trees in basically all directions doesn't help.

If I could I'd put up four antennas (for UHF anyway) adjusted 90 degrees apart.