NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MVP Networking issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it still the case that the MVP has to be connected to the same switch as its server?

I initially played with the idea of having an HTPC box in the lounge feeding the MVP so I currently have a switch in there, connected to the router on the rest of my network. The HTPC box was never quiet enough or powerful enough to do the job properly (M10000 based) so I now plan on running GBPVR on my server but the trouble is that the network connection would be Server > router > lounge switch > MVP and I seem to recall that it's not possible to do it that way?

If this is still so, is there any chance of making it possible, Sub? It's a rather frustrating limitation.
I'm not really sure what issue you're talking about exactly. Do UDP network broadcasts travel through these switches?

To facilitate communication with the MVP, GB-PVR listens on several UDP ports. When the MVP boots up, it does a few UDP broadcasts on these ports. If the message makes it as far as the GB-PVR machine, it'll respond with the information the MVP requires.

I'm not actively doing anything to limit this in any way
Wow, that was quick! Smile

I was going from memory - I was sure I'd read here somewhere that it wasn't possible for the MVP and its server to be on different switches but maybe I'm mistaken or thinking of something else. I'll give it a try when time allows.

I've said it before but thanks once again for a superb piece of software, I've been trying to put together the "perfect" HTPC system for ages and have experimented with most of the PC programs but I keep coming back to GBPVR as the best all-round solution. Keep up the good work!
I think you may have read about people reporting that they had problems (dropouts, stuttering, crashing) unless the MVP and server were on the same switch/hub/direct.

Technically no reason to why is shouldnt work, but that was some people's experiences.
I think what you are recalling is that the MVP needs to be on the same subnet as the PC. You can have any arrangement of switches and hubs. You just can't be on the "other side" of a routed connection.

SimonP Wrote:Wow, that was quick! Smile

I was going from memory - I was sure I'd read here somewhere that it wasn't possible for the MVP and its server to be on different switches but maybe I'm mistaken or thinking of something else. I'll give it a try when time allows.
Someone knows what UDP ports the MVP broadcasts to? BOOTP? TFTP?
Some routers might be able to forward those ports to a host.
But what is the PC has two network-cards?
In my case, the PC is attached to two networks (one wireless, one wired). The MVP is connected to the computer through the Wired network.

When the wireless network is enabled, the MVP can't connect to the GB-PVR server; when the wireless network is disabled, it can.

Please tell me how to change the settings that the GB-PVR server always connects to the MVP through the wired network (regardless of the wireless network is enabled or not).
Send your logs over to support@gbpvr.com and I'll take a look. Include a link back to this post.
Sorry, mail send to support@gbpvr.com kicks back: user unknown
Pages: 1 2