NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New PVR Build - Ideas ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have started buying bits for a GBPVR Build.

So far I have a HFX Case, Including the VFD & IR Remote, Heatpipes and so on for a motherboard & graphics card.

Looking for some support and tips on what I should buy for the :-

Motherboard
Graphics Card

I was intending on getting a BENQ Lightscribe DVD Writer and I have a bunch of 250GB IDE drives.

I intend to hook it all up to a SKY TV decoder. I have a pretty standard TV and a projector for output. I figured I would hook up the TV out and the VGA DSUB to the projector.

Any ideas..?

How should I go about connecting it up?

Any other options I should be considering ?

Thanks ! Smile
Take a look at some of the Dell promos (edealinfo.com) - I know this isn't the angle you were looking for, BUT if you have not bought motherboard, processor or memory yet, concider using a new Dell system for these parts in one simple shot.

You could move these Dell "guts" to your high end case and possible come out ahead $ wise - and you'd also have a ligit windows licence, and lots of other spare components from the dell carcass.

I just built a whole computer from parts (mostly chasing rebates) and by the time I added up all the little misc. things here and there (even S&H) I think I probably would have been much better off getting the "parts" out a new Dell buy!

Just a thought...
can always do the cheap option buy a mvp and use an existing PC or move it into another room so you do not have to hear the machine hummmm..
Now that I think about it, If I could do it again twice, I would listen to jorm.

Even with efforts to stay quite, the machine noise bothers me - and it's running hot, so I'm probably going to have to make it even noisier soon. Besides, isn't the output from the MVP supposed to be better than an average video card?!

The only down side I can think of is that I really, really like to run I-tunes off my TV (and do a tiny bit of web surfing) which I couldn't do directly through a MVP hooked up to my TV...
That is true. However you can do minor websurfing now with the web viewer plugin. Itunes cant help you with unless we can remove the protection on them and transcode them to mp3 which would be illegal.

I have a mvp solution. I think it is great.