NextPVR Forums

Full Version: server CPU resources needed for MVP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've become interested in building a GBPVR system, largely because it (compared to the alternatives) offers a low-cost and quiet frontend via the MediaMVP. The GBPVR system/server will be my current PC which is an EPOX 8KRA2I motherboard and an AMD XP 2400 CPU. I want to ensure this system will support the configuration I have in mind, but I've searched the forums and can't find any documentation or guidance about how much processor and memory resource is required to support each simultaneously active MediaMVP.

Can anyone point me to such information, if it exists?

Additionally, I would appreciate any comments specifically about whether my XP 2400 will support the following:

1 (and possibly 2) pvr500MCE's
3 MediaMVPs, though no more than 2 active at any one time

If I have 2 500MCE's, then the worst case would be 2 simultaneous recordings plus 2 simultaneous liveTV sessions via 2 MediaMVPs. (My understanding is that the 4 simultaneous captures via the 2 500MCEs wouldn't consume much resource, but I have no idea how much is required to serve two active MediaMVPs.)

If my current system won't support that, what is the minimum configuration which would?

Any help, comments, or guidance will be appreciated.
I run a single PVR500 and 2 MVP's on a XP2000+, 512 Meg Box with a 200Gig Seagate ATA harddrive.
It has no problems recording 2 channels while having both MVP's playing back
different prerecorded shows off the harddrive.
I cannot comment directly to using 2 PVR500's, but I guess my suituation would be similar to 2 x recording + 2 x live TV (except for the writing to HD for the live TV channels).

Consider this:
http://www.snapstream.com/Community/Arti...efault.asp

These guys managed to have 6 tuners recording to a crappy 40 Gig Harddrive
on a P4-2.4, 512Meg Box.

As for GBPVR, I have two instances of GBPVR.exe (70 Meg and 43 Meg)
running to support 2 x MVP's and also GBPVRTray (5.7 Meg) and GBPVRRecordingService (20 Meg) for a total of ~140 Meg or Ram required.

I seem to have about 100 Meg free of the 512 Meg I have in the box, so if
you said that to more instances of GBPVR were another 100 Meg then your
setup should work just fine.