NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Hardware advice for newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a Hauppauge 350 card and DVD burner sitting basically unused in a PC that is heavily used for non-TV purposes. I also plan to buy a 200g hard drive. So, I'd like to use this hardware with a computer system that would essentially be a dedicated PVR. I'd like to be able to do live TV pausing, program guide, burning of programs to DVD, listening to the radio, playing MP3s, and all the other things that GB-PVR will do.

I've noticed that lots of Dell small form factor desktops in the gx240/260/270 line are hitting the secondary market after coming off of business leases. I understand that it's a pretty good computer that is a nice form factor and is quiet. So, now I need to decide which one to get, and I'd like to avoid spending lots.

It comes down to two choices, both running Win XP home.

The chip: Intel P4, either 1.7g or 2.0g chip.
RAM: 256 or 512.

Based on other posts, it seems that the 1.7g chip should be enough. Does that sound right?

What about the RAM? Can I get away with just 256 with the 350 card and expect the machine to run without delay? I plan to slim down XP but shutting down unneeded processes, etc.

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance.
I understand that the PVR-350 won't permit Video Out for DVDs played on the computer.

Will other cards? I'm willing to sell the 350, get a 250 and get another card with video out. If other cards would let me do the DVDs to video out, can someone recommend a good, cheap one? I've read other posts, but they are giving me more questions than answers.

Thanks.
efin Wrote:I've noticed that lots of Dell small form factor desktops in the gx240/260/270 line are hitting the secondary market after coming off of business leases. I understand that it's a pretty good computer that is a nice form factor
I'm not too familar with them, but I know that some of the other SFF PCs can't take a full height PCI card, so you would have to use a shorter card like the lowprofile 150 MCE.