NextPVR Forums

Full Version: AGP vs. PCI video cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a preference for AGP vs PCI video cards? Been reading the forums for a while and it seems like many people are running PCI cards even though they are kind of rare these days.

I'm considering the XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X card (about $60.00 Canadian from Tiger Direct).

Also...Will any AGP card work in any AGP slot? My older machine has an AGP slot but I have no idea what version.

Thanks
There are two different kinds of AGP, supposedly backwards compatible on all motherboards, BUT, check to make sure, because of voltage differences, if you put an older agp card into a newer slot, you may blow it up (or was that a newer card in an older slot...?).
PCI video also comes in two versions, the original PCI (I ran a Radeon 7000 for a very long while), and PCIExpress, which is a completely different card/slot, so you can't mix these up.
Use whatever your wallet can handle.
AGP is faster than PCI, but slower than PCIExpress.
The geForce you mention is a decent card...check http://www.pricenetwork.ca for the best price before you buy from tiger though.
Thanks for your help Reboot. I went ahead and ordered the card from Tiger. I like the Pricenetwork site. I always try to order Canadien to avoid the customs hassles.