NextPVR Forums

Full Version: PVR 150 not recognized with VIA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just got a PC Chips MB-825G motherboard and I put a Sempron 2800 on it. Everything works fine, except that the motherboard does not recognize my Hauppauge PVR-150 card... it's like it is not there at all. I know the card works because I used it in another computer. I also tried other PCI cards on this new motherboard, and they work. So, there is some compatibility issue between the PVR-150 and this PC Chips motherboard.

I read some places that people have issues wtih VIA chipsets and Hauppauge cards.... what can I do to fix these compatibility issues? The chipset is a VIA KM266Pro. Will a PVr-250 work?

Please help me out! I have no idea what to do!

Shawn
Personally, rather than getting a PVR250 (which still may not work), I'd replace the motherboard with something else. I have a system with a KT400 chipset and that works with the PVR150 fine so it's either a KT266 problem or PC Chips' implementation of it.

Does the PVR150 appear in the device list table after POST before Windows starts to load?
djshawnee Wrote:I read some places that people have issues wtih VIA chipsets and Hauppauge cards.... what can I do to fix these compatibility issues?

I've never heard of those kind of problems (not saying that I have heard of all problems in the world, though ;-)). The problems usually referred to are lockups or crashes...
I really don't want to replace the motherboard cuz I got a nice deal on it. I don't think the hauppauge card shows up anywhere before Windows loads.

I read somewhere that it might have to do with PCI 2.1 vs. PCI 2.2? Anyways, if anyone has any more ideas, please let me know because I really have no idea where to go from here.
Just a thought - did you try the "other" pci cards in the same PCI slot as the PVR? If not, try moving the PVR to a different slot.

Retest the PVR in the original computer (if possible) to make sure it hasn't been damaged in the move - unlikely.

Check that it is not shorting on the motherboard.

Go into the system device panel to make sure it is not there. If it is try uninstalling the driver and rebooting.

I could not get my PVR 150 to work properly in a Dell (Intel) or a KT (VIA) machine - it does however work in my EPIA (VIA) motherboard.

They seem to be very fussy!
Yea... I tried all that and still no luck. I think I may just buy the ATI Theatre 550 Pro. How is the remote on this card? Does it work well with GBPVR?
Ive seen this before on a whole host of MBs. Try repeatedly inserting and removing the card from the PCI slot so as to clean the contacts. You may have dirty contacts on the PCI card/slot.

Kev
Are you using the onboard VIA/S3 video?
Use a simple rubber eraser to clean the contact edge on the card. Don't rub too hard.
Try the card in a different slot.
Check the boot screen, to see if it's recognized (hit the PAUSE/BREAK key on the keyboard during boot, to see).
If the BIOS picks up the card, then it's a windows problem.
If the BIOS doesn't see the card, then it's a motherboard/card problem.
I had a via based mb with the k8t800 based chipset (socket 754) and I had no problems with the pvr-350. I know the k8t890 based chipset had problems for awhile but I think those were fixed with a bios update.

Things to try:
Move the card to another PCI slot

Is this the only PCI card you have? If so, try any other type of PCI card to make sure you don't have some bios setting set wrong and that you PCI slots are working correctly.
Pages: 1 2