NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Setting Up for Sky Digital (UK)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I have been searching through the forums trying to find out what I need to change my set up for Sky Digital (Satellite provider in the UK). I currently run GB-PVR with a Hauppage 350 off of terrestrial boadcasts, and have had some success. However, I am about to embark on a journey into Digital TV and this is the only option for my geographical area.

I would like to know what the options are hardware wise. I have been looking at DVB-S cards, but would really like to have the ability to record more than one channel at a time (plus it seems this may not work for all channels). I have also seen mention of some kind of cabling for controlling the reciever but really could do with some help.

Thanks

Confused of Dorset
Quote:I would like to know what the options are hardware wise. I have been looking at DVB-S cards, but would really like to have the ability to record more than one channel at a time (plus it seems this may not work for all channels).
To record multipl programmes you'd need multiple DVB-S cards. You'll only be able to record programs that are not encrypted (and do not require smartcard).

Quote:I have also seen mention of some kind of cabling for controlling the reciever but really could do with some help.
Devices like the USB-UIRT can be used to control external satellite recievers.
JBIreland Wrote:I have also seen mention of some kind of cabling for controlling the reciever but really could do with some help.

Thanks

Confused of Dorset

You can control your receiver with something like this:
http://www.redremote.co.uk/serial/

I use one for my NTL set top box. It won't enable you to record multiple channels though.

Cheers,

john
Thanks Sub and John for your replies. From earlier posts that I have read, it seems that it is currently not possible to have two DVB-S cards working in the same machine, or is this just two of the same card?

I also have a question for those who have a DVB-S card in the UK does this work for the "free" chanels such as the BBC, ITV, CH4. I only ask this as the package I am considering is one that is a one off that provides a large number of free channels, and if a DVB-S card works for these then I may be sorted (I can always knock up another machine with another DVB-S card if needs be). Any the Hauppage site I have been looking at skirts around the subject.

Thanks for your time in Advance.

John, slightly less befuddled of Dorset.
Having just researched quite a lot to find out about getting Sky in Norway, I believe I can answer some of your questions.

The (current) bottom line is that it won't work.

You can recieve the satelite but gbpvr does not support using cam's (if I have understood previous dvb questions right). Getting Sky on anything other than a Digibox requires some tinkering with softcams and external cardreaders.

The only way to currently get Sky on gbpvr is by composite/svideo transfer.

Now if only someone would make a Dreambox controling plugin. Wink

Christian...