NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Maxtor's Networked External HD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
cNet wrote it like no one was doing exactly this. It's an external HD designed to be household storage of media, and plugged directly into the network as a stand-along device.

What is probably most signifciant is the price. They are doing roughly $1/1Gb. Even though I can put another HD on the network, I'll probably start heading in this direction so I don't need to have all PCs on to get to content anymore:

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor...w=Overview
I use a 300GB one of these. I dont actually record to it, but it has ripped DVD collection, music collection etc.

I'm pretty happy with it.
Short of having 1G network and having the device being a cybernetic brain, I don't think I could put trust in an external recording drive (think my skepticism of responsive external HD was clear enough Wink )

My thinking is exactly yours, and thinking it could also be a perfect decive to point a record achiever at.

I think the bottom line, and why I found the whole thing most interesting was it showed more validation for the PVR and netowrked home media environment. Seeing things like this shows not only need but demand, and I like knowing this shift in the entertainment paradigm is not just a fad. I think the old one (ppv vs on demand, theaters, as much as I love them) is ready to be retired.