NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Which Fusion HDTV Cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm still eyeballing a Fusion card, esp. the HDTV5 Lite. Will it work OK with GB-PVR? Are all the Fusion cards supported (Gold, Lite, etc)? I would probably have a Fusion card and one or two PVR-150 's in the system. The Fusion would tune the OTA digital channels and the 150's would handle the cable. Would that work OK?
I think I am the only GB-PVR user who has used the Fusion 5 Lite stateside. (At least no one else has said anything.) It works great! I'm using it in conjunction with a Hauppauge USB2 PVR and I have no issues. I HIGHLY recommend the F5.
Looks like I'll be number 2...I just ordered one. Now I gotta figure out what to tell the wife why I need it... Big Grin

I'll let you know when I get it up & running.

Are you using it only for OTA or have you tried it on cable?
zed Wrote:Are you using it only for OTA or have you tried it on cable?

Right now, I am only using it for OTA. GB-PVR doesn't support QAM (Cable) tuning just yet which is fine because neither does DViCO. At least, not in any real usable fashion. In an nutshell, the DViCO application would crash completely when scanning for QAM channels. They are making strides to remedy the problem and have released several betas to users who complain but the issue is far from resolved. There is a HUGE :eek: thread on the subject over at the AVS forums that you might want to peruse while you are waiting on your card. You'll be able to find links to download the betas if you are brave enough to try them out. Personally, I've found that the betas are only worth it if you are a digital cable subscriber AND most of your channels are unencrypted.

Here's some advice to make the installation of your DViCO card smoother. I've written a tutorial that can be found in the second post of this thread. This tutorial will walk you through the steps you will need to take in order to configure GB-PVR to work with ATSC HDTV cards. Also, I have found that the Zulu mpeg2 video decoder and the Cyberlink audio decoder give me the best quality results when watching live HDTV broadcasts. The Zulu decoder comes with the DViCO software and the Cyberlink decoder comes with PowerDVD (I think). These settings can be adjusted on the Playback tab of the GB-PVR config menu.

Hope you find this info helpful. Enjoy the new card!
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting the Fusion Lite, and I'm just wondering... Does GB-PVR support the analogue tuning features of the card? I know that the HDTV tuning is in development, but watching through the MPEG-2 encoder has been supported on other cards for a while... And if it is supported, is this a good tuner?

Thnx

m
Hi all,

I'm new to GB-PVR and reading round the forums trying to find my feet. I have been looking at building a PVR for some time but never got round to actually buying a TV card and finally think that it's about time I sorted one out. So I was wondering if anyone advise me on the following:

1) Has anyone tried the FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital card (http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products...gital.aspx) with GB-PVR? And (obiviously), if so, how did you get on? If not, does anyone think it will be possible to watch two programs at once through GV-PVR?

2) I was thinking of possibly getting a FusionHDTV Hybrid instead of the above since I'm pretty sure I'll experience some reception problems going for purely digital TV. Has anyone had any experience with this card also?

3) Does anyone know of where I can easily buy these cards online in the UK?

4) And finally, could anyone suggest a suitable card/s instead of the above for use in the UK with GB-PVR? (I need a small form factor card due to my PC).

See, told you I was new at this!

Laters
I cant comment too much myself, since I'm not in a DVB-T country and dont have first hand knowledge.

Quote:2) I was thinking of posibly getting a FusionHDTV Hybrid instead of the above since I'm pretty sure I'll experience some reception problems going for purely digital TV. Has anyone had any experience with this card also?
GB-PVR only supports analog with onboard MPEG2 hardware encoders. The analog side of the hybrid Fusion devices does not have one of these, so you wont be able use the analog functionality with GB-PVR.

Quote:3) And finally, could anyone suggest a suitable card for us in the UK with GB-PVR? (I need a small form factor card due to my PC).
Popular choices seem to be the Hauppauge Nova-T and Twinhan DVB-T, but reports indicate the Nova-T is a bit slower at changing channels. I dont know if these are small form factor.
Since I started this thread, just a note on my progress (if anyone cares :-))...

I acquired a Fusion 5 Lite and installed it in my test machine with GB-PVR. It seems to work just fine. There were no problems getting it to work, I just loaded the software that came with the card (actually I downloaded the most recent version from Dvico) and it worked fine. I then defined it in GB-PVR and no issues there either. Daphatty's instructions were quite helpful and setting up the channels manually was not a Big Deal...there are only (?) about 10 of them here in the Phoenix AZ area. My test machine is just a 1GHz Athlon box with a 40G drive so I can't keep much on it. It records OK but playback thru GB-PVR is kind of jerky...there just isn't enough horsepower in that box...cpu runs 75-80% on playback. Next step is to move it to my main machine... a 3GHz Pentium 4 HT & lots of disk. I imagine the performance should improve a bit in that machine :-). The recordings & live TV look really nice, I must say. Ironically, I don't have an HD capable TV...yet...maybe Santa will bring one for Christmas. I'm not sure how to drive an HDTV from GB-PVR, tho...???

Anyway, it seems to work just fine...a nice addition to an already world-class PVR package...
Quote:1) Has anyone tried the FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital card (http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Prod...alDigital.aspx) with GB-PVR? And (obiviously), if so, how did you get on? If not, does anyone think it will be possible to watch two programs at once through GV-PVR?
These cards are two seperate tuners stuck on the same card. One is the standard PCI and the other is a USB. It is no different to having a PCI card and a seperate USB tuner installed so it should not be a problem using them both but GBPVR does not support PIP (does it?) if that is what you are asking?.

Quote:I'm thinking about getting the Fusion Lite, and I'm just wondering... Does GB-PVR support the analogue tuning features of the card? I know that the HDTV tuning is in development, but watching through the MPEG-2 encoder has been supported on other cards for a while... And if it is supported, is this a good tuner?

The fusion lites (as sold in Australia) don't have analogue inputs or tuner.
Just starting the process of builing my HTPC, and my config will be as follows:

HP x4000 workstation (dual Xeon 1.8GHz)
512MB RAM
NVidia Quadra with Dual DVI output (only using one)
Fusion HDTV 5 Gold
Haugpague 150

My first question is on the Fusion Card. When I look at the latest build it lists the Fusion 5 lite or Fusion HDTV Gold but not the Fusion 5 HDTV gold. There are more than one Fusion Gold cards out there and the v5 seems to have a difference chipset than previous models and the lite card.

My next question is to see if anyone has had success getting the remote that comes with the Fusion 5 Gold to work with GBPVR.

Lastly, anyone have an opinion wether XP works better with GBPVR than 2000? I am looking to do a clean build of the system and have had issues with GBPVR under 2k. Could just be my configuration though.

Product looks great, I hope I can get it to work for me.