NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Radeon 7000 Hardware mpeg2 decode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just installed a cheap Radeon 7000 card. It is marketed as having hardware mpeg2 decode and motion compensation deinterlace. Does anyone know how to get this to work with GBPVR.

So far all I've done is install the standard ATI drivers - but I don't see any option for the card in the hardware decoder drop down, nor any new "software" decoder.

Any help appreciated.
It's on the card. Grab the latest Catalyst drivers for it, and some options will show up in control panel, display.
Don't expect the greatest results however. I just replaced my Radeon 7000 because it couldn't handle much of the higher quality video that I like to watch. It works just fine for an old school tube television and analog cable, but anything of higher quality really taxed the card.
This card doesnt have a true MPEG2 decoder like the PVR350 and XCard listed in the GB-PVR config app's Hardware Decoder section. Instead it has a few MPEG2 "accelleration" features, which a normal software MPEG2 decoder can make use of to slightly speed up the process.
Have you tried the TV out on the 7000 as well? I had one and the TV out was horrible on my card, so I ended up replacing it for a Nvidia and it's TV out is great.
sub Wrote:This card doesnt have a true MPEG2 decoder like the PVR350 and XCard listed in the GB-PVR config app's Hardware Decoder section. Instead it has a few MPEG2 "accelleration" features, which a normal software MPEG2 decoder can make use of to slightly speed up the process.

Hmmm. I've installed the latest ATI drivers. The ATI marketing blurb is very strong on saying this card supports MPEG2 decode - makes a big thing of it! However in the *very* small print it says "requires supported software" - of course there's no mention of what this would be!!!

So the next question - does anyone know of an MPEG2 codec that can actually use these hardware features? I'm using the Hauppauge supplied Intervideo codecs and have seen no improvement in CPU utilization since switching to the Radeon.

FYI I have a pretty low-power system 1.6GHz AMD Duron running XP SP2 with DirectX9 - I can just get away with VMR9, typically see 80% CPU load, but even with Overlay I still see 50% load. So I'd really like to offload as much of the software decode processing to hardware if it can be done.

Your advice greatly appreciated.
Hi, did you ever find a codec that uses the hardware acceleration in the Radeon card?

I just bought a Radeon 9250 PCI, because I wanted a better tv-out than my motherboards S3 chipset and my old GeForce4 MX440. The Radeon does look better on my tv (a lot better than the S3 Wink ), but it annoys me that I don't get the accelleration (and, it is needed on my 1GHz VIA Smile ).

Clun-3d who made the card just links to ATI's driver page, where you can download a DVD Decoder (which I assume is a MPEG2 codec that uses the features on ATI's cards), the problem is that to use it you have to have a driver cd that ATI gives you with the cards they produce themself, it doesn't work with the driver cd Club-3d or other hardware producents use.....

I got PowerDVD5 with the card and you can set it to use hardware acceletation, but I still get slightly higher cpu ussage with the Cyberlink decoder than with the InterVideo NonCSS decoder in GBpvr.