NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Anyone have Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe USB (NTSC) working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been told it is not officially supported but some have managed to get this device working. If you have gotten this device to work, please share your creative solution - it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi JHinds,

I don't know if you still needs answer on this, but I remember struggling myself when I was experimenting with my system setup and couldn't find a setup guide for the PCTV Deluxe anywhere. So if not for you than someone else who's searching this forum might find this useful...

Here's how I get my GBPVR installed:

1. Install XP with SP2 and .Net 1.1 Framework as prescribed.

2. Install the latest download version of Pinnacle PCTV Vision. You'll need the Cyberlink driver and the remote control software it installs. FOLLOW ITS ONSCREEN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS LITERALLY!

3. You can remove PCTV scheduling software from the Start/Programs/Startup folder to avoid conflicts with future GBPVR schedules.

4. Install the latest GBPVR from this site.

5. In the GBPVR configuration screen under "Capture Sources", click "Add" for a new capture source.

6. At "Source Name" fill in anything you like. "My Pinnacle" for example

7. At "Recording Source" select "Direct Recording plugin" and click the "Settings" button behind it.

8. In the appearing screen select your "Capture Card Type" (Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe NTSC in your case) as well as your "Country", "Board Number", "Source" and "Tuning" type. Click OK to close the capture card configuration screen.

9. If you use an XMLTV electronic program guide (EPG) source select that in the drop down box and select its location under the "Settings" button. I'm sorry I have no experience with the other options here.

10. Press "Ok" to close the "Create Capture Source" screen and Press "Ok" again to close the main "GB-PVR Configuration"screen. You have to close this and re-open the configuration screen to be able to add/configure your channels.

11. As mentioned, re-open the "GB-PVR Configuration" program. in the "Capture Sources" tab select your recording source and click "Edit". Notice the new screen is now called "Edit Recording Source".

12. Now you can "Add" Channels from the bottom buttons or press the "Update EPG" button to import these from your XMLTV file. Please search the forum for different ways to setup channels and EPG's as this differs per country. I only have experience with cable TV in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

After having set-up at least a couple of channels what works for me are at least the following settings.

13. In the "Playback" tab:
- Select "Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder" as "Video Decoder".
- Select "Cyberlink Audio Decoder" as "Audio Decoder".
- Select "Overlay Manager".
- Leave "Audio Renderer" as "System Default"

14. In the "Directories" tab define the location of your recordings, music and video files.

15. In the "Misc" tab DESELECT the "Use Live Preview mode if possible"!! GBPVR will not work with the Pinnacle PCTV with this enabled.

You'll have to experiment with the rest of settings and Plugins to your liking. I have experimented with different Video/Audio decoders and got upgraded Cyberlink drivers on the installation CD of my ASUS DVD-RW drive (It installs PowerDVD 5.0). I found this setup to be the least processor intensive. As I have my computer in the living room I want it to be as quiet as possible.

16. Almost forgot, if you want to use the Pinnacle Remote control you'll have to change the "profiles.ini" file which controls it. I have attached mine to this post. This one will also control PCTV Vision but you can edit it to your liking. Just copy this to "C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe\Remote" folder.

17. Now you should be able to startup GBPVR and select and play video and audio files and start-up Live TV for Time Shifting television and record programs.

I hope this helps.