NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Codecs and MVPs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I see lots of posts debating which Codecs are best, and also registry settings to configure the Codecs. But with a setup that uses a Hauppauge 350, and an MVP, am I using any codecs? I understand that the decoding is done with MVP hardware, and I THINK the 350 card encodes it in hardware also. Is this correct? If so, is there any way for me to 'tune' them to work better on my system?

:confused:

Thanks!

Jim
You are correct, the codec settings are ignored if you're using the PVR350 or MVP. With these the decoding is all done in hardware, and there isnt really anything you can tweak.
Ok, Thanks for the quick answer! Since I can't tweak anything, I suppose I'll have to go watch something I've recorded Smile

Cheers, Jim
I use GBPVR with 2 quite different tuners, both hardware based, a Hauppauge PVR150 (mpeg1+2) and a Lifeview TVWalker (mpeg1+2/mpeg4 and DivX) and mainly (90% of the time) I view shows or liveTV over the MVP. I just realised the Walker, when it was performing recordings, has been producing avi files, whereas the Happauge makes mpg files. However the GBPVR's default settings for the Walker device show DivX (MPEG4).

(I found this out because comskip was not working and the dirs with the avi recordings do not appear to have the .txt files produced by comskip, whereas the mpg files do. Erik has cofnirmed comskip does not work on avi or mp4 files.
I have two Q's:

1. I understand from this particular forum that there has been "some" and "varied" success with "MVP and AVIs" and "MVP and XDVD (DivX?)", but apart from smaller file sizes with MP4 encoding, are there any other advantages?

2. Would a distinct disadvantage be that the AVI's have to be transcoded to MPG (and that will slow my already slow system down)? Presumably GBPVR does this transcoding automotically, as I could watch the AVI ok over the MVP.
k.
Quote:1. I understand from this particular forum that there has been "some" and "varied" success with "MVP and AVIs" and "MVP and XDVD (DivX?)", but apart from smaller file sizes with MP4 encoding, are there any other advantages?
If you're using an MVP, I'd configure you TV Walker to record MPEG2. AVI is just too much hassle on the MVP.

Quote:2. Would a distinct disadvantage be that the AVI's have to be transcoded to MPG (and that will slow my already slow system down)? Presumably GBPVR does this transcoding automotically, as I could watch the AVI ok over the MVP.
Yes, see answer above. Requires fast machine for realtime transcoding, can be fragile depending on decoders on your machine, resuming and skipping to other parts of the movie not usually possible as transcoding has to start from the beginning of the file, etc...
Ahhhh, thank you.

That explains an awful lot. I was curious as to why DivX was the default for medium settings. mpeg2 it will become.

Presumably I just simply change the MPG4 or DivX setting => MPG2 and I don't have to alter anything else like the bitrate etc.?

What, incidentally, does GBPVR do when viewing LiveTV does it do all that same transcoding on the fly (or rather I understand with a small lag) with exactly the same codecs as if it was a recording?

k.
Quote:That explains an awful lot. I was curious as to why DivX was the default for medium settings.
Most people that own one of these device like to recording DivX AVI instead of MPEG2, but its just not a great choice if you intend to use it with an MVP.

MPEG2 is always used for live tv via the MVP.
I've converted DVDs to MP4 files using Nero.
I was able to watch the MP4 video fine, but without audio on the MVP.

But when I use the Nero Player, then I get video and audio fine.

Is there a way to setup the MVP to play MP4 video/audio ?

Thx !