NextPVR Forums

Full Version: TV-out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I similar question to one that has been asked before, but I wasn't happy with the answers.

I recently bought a new tv ( 30" widescreen phillips, has HDMI, svideo, rca ). I would like my tv-out to look better. Currently I am using the svideo out on my geforce2mx card. That card is very old and wasn't that great to begin with. I can only run 640x480 without the tv producing ghost-like overlays.

What is the preferred way to do tv-out? I'm open to almost all options, I would like to run the tv at a higher resolution ( even a widescreen res would be nice ).

Are there any developments on the pc to HDMI out front? I've been googling but haven't come across anything yet. The goal is to have DVD's look as good coming from the gb-pvr box as good as possible ( preferrably comparable in aspect-ratio and quality as my $30 progressive scan dvd player ).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Squid
I think there are DVI to HDMI cables available. This would most likely give you your best picture.
TVout on graphics cards is not the best. The best TVout I ever saw was my xcard. Next was the PVR350. Both are good hardware with crap driver support though. Dont even think of going there!!! I get a fairly good picture out of my FX5200. It has a DVI (sp?) output and looks reasonable but not perfect. Dont use composite though. Just get a better graphics card and you will get a better TVout
I didn't know what to look for, but yes, there are all kinds of HDMI to DVI adapters and cables. Even some available locally.

I'll pick one up and see if/how it works out.

Squid
I have seen DVI to component video dongles for ATI cards only.

Or they say they are for ATI cards only.
Component video is supposed to be better than S-video I also think it give you some HDTV resolutions.

I found this guide that might be usefull.

http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9263