NextPVR Forums

Full Version: What dual DVi Graphics card and video capture card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning to start assembling my first HCPC shortly and am trying to figure out what kit I need to buy.

I currently have quite a nice, quiet living room PC running an Athlon 2500+ processor, a Geforce FX5200 video card and attached to a 15inch analogue minitor. I have a small old CRT telly, a nice AV receiver and speakers and a Humax 8000T PVR which also acts as a Freeview box.

What I'd like to do is get a decent LCD TV say 26-32 inch with DVi input, a 19inch digital monitor and then connect all ofthese to my PC running GBPVR which seems to be the best free HCPV solution.

My questions are?

1 What video capture card would you recommend? I'm not keen to subscribe to Sky so would like Freeview functionality. Does that mean I need a Freeview video cature hard such as the Hauppage Nova T ? or can I buy a cheaper analogue card and plug my Humax into that to watch Freeview? I'd also like to be able to watch and record different Freeview channels at the same time. Does that require 2 digital cards? or 1 digital card plus my Humax??? The Nova T seems to get poor views mostly becasue of the poor software. If I install GB PVR do i not need to worry about the poor hauppage software?

2 What graphics card would you recommend? As i understand it to get decent picture quality out of a new LCD TV I'll ned to attach it to the PC via a DVi card. As my old FX5200 doesnt have a DVI output, I assume ill need a new graphics card. I like the idea of a dual DVi card so that I can attach both my new LCD Tv and my new monitor to the card. I'm struggling to find a mid range card which does this. My motherboard uses PCi slots rather than PCi Express. Any recommendations? I play the odd game but am not heavily into gaming so don't need a top end card.

3 Any recommendations for a digital 19 inch mnito and a budget 26-32 inch LCD TV would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Wade