Thread: Net Radio - Does it and if not can it?

Question Net Radio - Does it and if not can it?

I listen to BBC Radio 7 at times and was wondering if the Net Radio in GBPVR can access that particular station?
    Asus P4P800S w/ P4 3.0Ghz Socket 478 CPU Intel chipset; 1GB RAM; Western Digital WD320JU 320GB HDD; Asus N6600 video card; LG DVD ROM; Hauppauge WinTV PVR150; Logitec X-530 5.1 speakers; XP Professional SP; BenQ FP531 15" LCD Montor; Samsung CRT TV via S-Video; Snapstream FireFly Remote; GBPVR 0.94.13 w/ XRecord, MyVideos, MyMusic, Theatre, Weather Plugins

GB-PVR's net radio function can only listen to ShoutCast radio stations. I dont know whether BBC Radio 7 is a ShoutCast station though.

As i understand it no, Net Radio will only work with shoutcast stations or ones that stream mp3, not real audio or wma files.

Ah, okay, thank you for the very quick response. I wonder how hard it would be to write a plugin that can? I am a C# developer and want to try writing something for GBPVR but didn't know what. Any pointers as to where to start?
    Asus P4P800S w/ P4 3.0Ghz Socket 478 CPU Intel chipset; 1GB RAM; Western Digital WD320JU 320GB HDD; Asus N6600 video card; LG DVD ROM; Hauppauge WinTV PVR150; Logitec X-530 5.1 speakers; XP Professional SP; BenQ FP531 15" LCD Montor; Samsung CRT TV via S-Video; Snapstream FireFly Remote; GBPVR 0.94.13 w/ XRecord, MyVideos, MyMusic, Theatre, Weather Plugins

If you write a plugin that saves the stream as a MP3 file on disk, then there are some GB-PVR plugin APIs you can call to play the file. It has to be MP3, or you wont be able to play the file while it is still recording.

Your only problem might be getting GBPVR to play the WMA or RA file, since I dont think it does it natively. Which means you may need to write your own, or use an external audio player.

I've been working on a variation of the net radio, but again it's only going to be shout cast since they're the easiest to save (rip) and because they're MP3 they integrate well with Sub's API's for playing audio files.

You could however, instead of writing your own audio player, convert on-the-fly to MP3 and shove the the output files at the GBPVR playlist.

Your only problem might be getting GBPVR to play the WMA or RA file, since I dont think it does it natively. Which means you may need to write your own, or use an external audio player.
    You'd be able to play these sorts of files with GB-PVR's API, but the problem is playing them while they're still growing. GB-PVR can only play MP3 files while they're still growing.

I think I have my project. I'll post my progress for anyone interested.

If you haven't already seen it, you might want to look at this forum thread for a winamp-based workaround in the meantime.

I will certainly give that a try this weekend. Thanks