• No, I can live with .zip files

19 76.00%
  • I don't care, both works fine

3 12.00%
  • I don't know the difference of .zip and .exe

0 0%

Thread: Uploading .exe files

Uploading .exe files

There have been a request about being able to upload .exe files directly (without embedding them in .zip files as you currently have to do). This envolves a potential security risk, so before implementing it I'd like to see if it's a real need for this.

I imagine having .exe's exposed instead of embedded within a .zip file makes them easier for potential "bad guys" to spot (ie web-bots) and do nasty stuff to them.

If this is the concern, I will vote keep as is. If the wiki is considered decently secured from such hacks, then I may vote otherwise.
    Fatman_do

HTPC: AMD XP+2500, 512MB DDR (400) ~ Capture Device: Hauppage PVR-150
    Storage: 30GB OS & Recording, 160GB Post Processing & Archive
    Video Output: HD 32" TV via eVGA Geforce 6200le 256MB AGP DVI-HDMI cable out
    Audio Output: Turtle Beach Riviera S/PDIF Optic Output (Digital pass thru only) to Home Theater Receiver

Moderator | Tutorials | Community Skin | CommunitySkin-SVN

I vote No - stick with zip files. I can't see any disadvantages to using them.

Cheers,
    Brian

I don't see unzipping a file as hardship and it gives the authors a chance to drop in a read me file for you to read before you install for any special instructions or whatever. I think it does make it a bit safer than just an exe uploaded. i nothing else it give you more time with it before you run it

I have no problems with zips either... and I like the fact that read me's etc... can be bundled with them.

I have no issues downloading a zip that has an EXE in it. When its uncompressed it will be scanned by my Anti-virus too.

NPVR Rig: Microsoft Surface Pro 2, i5-4200u, 4gb DDR3, 128gb ssd (OS), 2tb Western Digital (Recordings), 1tb Western Digital (videos), Silicon Dust HDHomeRun PRIME, Logitech Harmony Remote

To Purchase:
    Current Projects:

I voted Yes I want it, but it is too late....I wanted it badly, because maintaining the themepacks, zipping the exe's and uploading them manually took to much time, since I make small adjustments often.
    I have set up a wiki for the BaseSkin and Themepack, so I will remove these from the GVPVR wiki soon.
    Best Regards
    MixMan

Antec Fusion case with Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-SH, AMD X2 4850e, 2GB RAM, AMD780G Onboard graphics. WinTV-PVR 150 MCE (With FM), Twinhan DVB-T, 750GB + 250GB HDD. Windows XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 Remote, 29" 4:3 monitor and a 47" Philips 9603H LCD

Quote Originally Posted by MixMan
    zipping the exe's and uploading them manually took to much time, since I make small adjustments often.
    I just use the inbuilt XP zip format. I right-click and select 'Send To' then 'Compressed (Zipped) Folder'. It works smoothly for me.

Cheers,
    Brian

Yes, but to do this 35 times one evening and upload, when an image is added or anything is changed.....i boring. Now I don't have to do it at all. The batch file does it for me.
    Best Regards
    MixMan

Antec Fusion case with Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-SH, AMD X2 4850e, 2GB RAM, AMD780G Onboard graphics. WinTV-PVR 150 MCE (With FM), Twinhan DVB-T, 750GB + 250GB HDD. Windows XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 Remote, 29" 4:3 monitor and a 47" Philips 9603H LCD