Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bounties for new features

Bounties for new features

Hi Sub:

In the thread http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=23191 I asked whether you had a widescreen TV and you asked whether I was offering to buy you one.

Well, yes, sort of! [Although not for the MVP widescreen issue anymore, now that I better understand the limitations Hauppauge built into the device.]

Sometimes you indicate that certain features are not high priority (for you) to implement. Would this change if you (or we the community) would set up a system for feature "bounties?" Something like "a gift certificate (or cash?) for Sub to buy whatever he wants from Circuit City" (or whatever source you have and like in NZ) to implement feature X.

The bounties would each go into some sort of escrow account and only be "payable" when the feature is implemented.

This might be a better way to judge what features users want and/or need. Right now there is really no compelling way for the community to express the hierarchy of their wishlist items.

I, for one, could probably raise between $50 and $300 (just among 5 users I personally introduced to GBPVR so far) for the feature request I "echoed" here: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=23803. However, my one post on the subject may not adequately indicate this is a "significant" issue among the GBPVR users I know. If you had the promise of CASH on the other hand . . . I have a feeling others among us would also be willing to pay into this or other new feature bounties.

[On a related note: I think it would also be very interesting to witness what amount of bounty would inspire you to implement a particular feature request before others. Example: would Sub be more interested in a $2500 bounty for a feature he doesn't care for or a $50 bounty for a feature in which he has already expressed interest?]

Does anyone have an idea of how we could set up an online escrow service for what I am describing above? [In my conception, bounties could grow unbounded in amount -- but would probably have an expiry date of 6 to 12 months after they are posted.]

If Sub is amenable to this idea, we could set up something like GBPVRBounties.com. This site could be a great marketing tool for GBPVR too -- as prolific as Sub is, if he starts collecting these bounties and people are aware of it, more and more would flock to GBPVR as the most responsive PVR project in the world!

Felix

P.S. Additionally and/or alternatively, you could release the source code and a lot of talented coders (I'm unfortunately not one of them!) could help you with GBPVR. I know you have rejected this in the past -- just thought I would put it out there again for your consideration in 2007.

There is a donate button at the top of the page. Just include a message with your request, and if the price is large enough, I'm sure sub can be persuaded to add anything. After all, everyone has a price (whether they want to admit it or not).

What I would like to see is actually a Roadmap, or what is coming down the road. I know a sub has a list of items, that he wants to work on, but with out a public road map, it's hard for the community to jointly vote on what they feel is the most necessary items or features they want to see.

Aahhh, that's good, make him work for the money.

serious: who's going to decide whether a feature is implemented right or not?
    AMD Athlon 64 3000, HDD: 80, 120, 200 GB, Hauppauge 350 + 150, MVP, Asus 6000L Laptop client, Asus X50sl client,
    Fritz!box 7140 modem/router, GBPVR 1.3.7.

With all due respect:

GB-PVR is free, and written by someone in his spare time. He has already given us much more of his spare time than (I dare say) anyone else on the forum would do.

Sub has been quite private about what he does for work. I suspect he does well, and it affords him spare time. But that's his business.

As someone who codes in his spare time, I can say that the last thing I would want is another boss or group of bosses tempting me with carrots; to turn my labour of love into work.

Yes, there are certain features that certain people would like. And Sub has been very good about writing many features he himself would never use.

Yes, some things would be better if they were integrated, rather than in a plugin. But the very ability for other programmers to write extra features, is a testament to sub's giving spirit.

GB-PVR is not a commercial application, (although many people would be surprised by that). It can not be held to the same standards as other PVR applications. Yet, time and time again it is held to those standards, and it shines anyway...

A road map would be great. But if sub wants to keep an idea on the shelf, and take it down when he feels like it, that should certainly be his perogative.

I'm sorry if my tone is terse. I have no intention in starting a flame war. (Certainly sub would not tolerate it). I do think that concepts such as bounties and prizes to be paid on completion of a wish, is undermining the very spirit of GB-PVR.

(I just hope sub has left the source code to me in his will)
    Last edited by zehd; 2007-02-10 at 05:04 AM.
    Frank Z

I used to ask 'why?' Now I just reinstall...

Very well spoken Zehd, I couldn't agree more.
    AMD Athlon 64 3000, HDD: 80, 120, 200 GB, Hauppauge 350 + 150, MVP, Asus 6000L Laptop client, Asus X50sl client,
    Fritz!box 7140 modem/router, GBPVR 1.3.7.

Quote Originally Posted by KingArgyle View Post
    What I would like to see is actually a Roadmap, or what is coming down the road. I know a sub has a list of items, that he wants to work on, but with out a public road map, it's hard for the community to jointly vote on what they feel is the most necessary items or features they want to see.
    I know a lot people would like to see this, but as much as I hate to say it - I'm not that organised, and there is no long term roadmap. This project has evolved more 'organically' than that.

In the short term I usally have a few big ticket items in mind which I'll try to implement in the next release or the one after. I prefer not tell people what they are in advance for a few main reasons:
    (1) some users will not agree with tasks I intend to spend alot of time and will argue that it would be better to spend my time on some feature they'd prefer to have. This would happen. Some people are polite, some not so...
    (2) some users will be disappointed when I indicated I was going to do a feature, but it doesnt come off and I have to abandon the job. There is a lot of these. They're often something that I think sounds doable, but after starting in on it I realise there is some major stumbling block or technical reason it cannot be done in a reasonable timeframe. I want to be able to easily change my mind about implementing features without disappointing users.
    (3) some new features are based around products or features that manufacturers have discussed with me under non-disclosure agreements, so not able to be publically disclosed.

Other than these big ticket items, I tend to watch the discussions on the forums for items that are either often requested, or seem like a good idea to me. Many of these are implemented time permitting.

There is also some items which come up from time to time that sounds like a good idea to me, but I cant find a nice tidy place to put them in the interface, so they tend to get ignored (until I eventually decide where I could put it). I want the interface to be easy to understand, and fairly consistant from screen to screen.

Long term goals are pretty vague - very stable app, strong digital support across ATSC and DVB, strong user community.

Quote Originally Posted by fbachofner View Post
    Hi Sub:

In the thread http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=23191 I asked whether you had a widescreen TV and you asked whether I was offering to buy you one.

Well, yes, sort of! [Although not for the MVP widescreen issue anymore, now that I better understand the limitations Hauppauge built into the device.]

Sometimes you indicate that certain features are not high priority (for you) to implement. Would this change if you (or we the community) would set up a system for feature "bounties?" Something like "a gift certificate (or cash?) for Sub to buy whatever he wants from Circuit City" (or whatever source you have and like in NZ) to implement feature X.

The bounties would each go into some sort of escrow account and only be "payable" when the feature is implemented.

This might be a better way to judge what features users want and/or need. Right now there is really no compelling way for the community to express the hierarchy of their wishlist items.

I, for one, could probably raise between $50 and $300 (just among 5 users I personally introduced to GBPVR so far) for the feature request I "echoed" here: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=23803. However, my one post on the subject may not adequately indicate this is a "significant" issue among the GBPVR users I know. If you had the promise of CASH on the other hand . . . I have a feeling others among us would also be willing to pay into this or other new feature bounties.

[On a related note: I think it would also be very interesting to witness what amount of bounty would inspire you to implement a particular feature request before others. Example: would Sub be more interested in a $2500 bounty for a feature he doesn't care for or a $50 bounty for a feature in which he has already expressed interest?]

Does anyone have an idea of how we could set up an online escrow service for what I am describing above? [In my conception, bounties could grow unbounded in amount -- but would probably have an expiry date of 6 to 12 months after they are posted.]

If Sub is amenable to this idea, we could set up something like GBPVRBounties.com. This site could be a great marketing tool for GBPVR too -- as prolific as Sub is, if he starts collecting these bounties and people are aware of it, more and more would flock to GBPVR as the most responsive PVR project in the world!
    A couple of users have mentioned this sort for thing in the past - a pay for features model. To be honest, its not really something I feel comfortable with.

I do read everything (except some posts the plugins forum), and I do listen to what people are saying. This of course doesnt mean I can implement everything, but if certain requests seem popular, or I like the idea, then there is a good chance it'll be implemented.

P.S. Additionally and/or alternatively, you could release the source code and a lot of talented coders (I'm unfortunately not one of them!) could help you with GBPVR. I know you have rejected this in the past -- just thought I would put it out there again for your consideration in 2007.
    Sorry, this wont be happening. GB-PVR will not be an open source project.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Sorry, this wont be happening. GB-PVR will not be an open source project.
    Just leave us in your will then. Not for your cash... just your source.

No problem on my end with the Road Map, sub. I switched from Beyond TV because of their crappy restrictions on plugin development for that application. The fact that we can develop plugins with out license restrictions, is fine by me and more than I need.

I've been with GBPVR going on a couple of years now, and there are just still some fundamental items that aren't implemented that people have come to expect. Yes, in some ways the external plugins can add support for this, but in many cases because of the differing styles that coders have it doesn't integrate as well as if it came from the core. I just bring it up as we near the 1.00 version. To me this is the time to polish everything up, and then start planning for beyond 1.0.

Anyways, I've donated in the past, and will do so again, even just for the amount of time and frustation you had devoted to getting the Lifeview Walker working as well as you had.

Quote Originally Posted by KingArgyle View Post
    I've been with GBPVR going on a couple of years now, and there are just still some fundamental items that aren't implemented that people have come to expect. Yes, in some ways the external plugins can add support for this, but in many cases because of the differing styles that coders have it doesn't integrate as well as if it came from the core. I just bring it up as we near the 1.00 version. To me this is the time to polish everything up, and then start planning for beyond 1.0.
    I'm always keen to hear people opinions on things that should be in there - what are some of things?

What do other people see as essential things which are missing? I cant promise I'll implement these, but I'll certainly consider them.

Several things I've seen mentioned as essential in the past depend on info only available to zap2it users, which is big factor in why I've not implemented these features - but please mention these anyway. According to both downloads stats and forum traffic there are more GB-PVR users from outside of the US, so this is obviously a big consideration. I'm not against implementing support for things that are zap2it only (like I have with the 'dont record duplicates' feature), but I dont like having features in the GB-PVR GUI that dont do anything for a large number of users. Suggestions that work around this can help.