Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bounties for new features

Couldn't resist to take advantage of Sub's weak moment

How about a feature to indicate the "preferred" tuner for a show? If it is not available, GBPVR will use the first available one. Why is this useful? Where I live, the OTA HD channels are only a few and so I can't use the HD tuner card to record everything. For the shows that broadcast in HD on these channels, I like using the HD tuner card to record them. The channels that are not available OTA, I use my analog cable tuner cards.

Right now, to make sure the OTA HD shows are recorded using the HD card, I have setup two PCs -- one with the HD card and the other with the analog cards. If GBPVR has a feature to select the "preferred" tuner, I only need one PC with both HD and analog cards mixed. Think about the savings -- electricity and the cost of a second PC.

I have to admit, even without this feature, GBPVR is a world class PVR Sub can be proud of. Thank you Sub!
    AMD Athlon64 2800+
    1GB DDR and 2x 160GB SATA HDD
    ATI Radeon X1650Pro AGP 8x 512MB DDR
    1x OnAir HD, 2x HVR1600, 1x PVR-150
    Cox Analog Cable and OTA ATSC
    Windows XP SP3
    GBPVR (>= 1.3.7)

How about a feature to indicate the "preferred" tuner for a show? If it is not available, GBPVR will use the first available one. Why is this useful? Where I live, the OTA HD channels are only a few and so I can't use the HD tuner card to record everything. For the shows that broadcast in HD on these channels, I like using the HD tuner card to record them. The channels that are not available OTA, I use my analog cable tuner cards.

Right now, to make sure the OTA HD shows are recorded using the HD card, I have setup two PCs -- one with the HD card and the other with the analog cards.
    If you set up your HD capture source as the first one in the list, and only have the channels enabled that are received via the HD card, then it'll always be the preferred card for recordings on those channels.

For the shows that broadcast in HD on these channels, I like using the HD tuner card to record them. The channels that are not available OTA, I use my analog cable tuner cards.

What I have done is to have two accounts at zap2it. I don't know if this step is necessary, but, that is what I have done. One for my analogue cable stations and one for my ota digital stations. When I configured my HVR1600 ( 1 ota HD tuner and 1 analogue cable tuner) I used the separate zap2it accounts. I then mapped the ota channels to the resulting channels.

Now I have all the OTA HD channels at the bottom of my guide. This way I can decide either to record off the air or via cable by which version of the show I pick.

I went from 2 pvr150s to a single pvr150 and a dvico hd card to where now I have a single pvr150 and an HVR1600. I missed having the second analogue tuner for cable when I was using the dvico in my server box. It only has two free pci slots.

Also, in regards to saving power etc., I use an NSLU2 (slug) to store my recordings. This little box only draws about 9 watts and is always on and available across the network. Now if I could only get the Media mvp to access the slug directly.....
    Server: Windows 10 - ASrock N3150DC -ITX Fanless Celeron
    Clients: Shield TV with X-newa on Kodi, Asus chromebox - openelec - X-newa on Kodi

sub,
    i understand some reasons why you want to keep it closed & not release a roadmap. i'm not so fond of that bounty system either, you don't need & deserve a goad on
    just some suggestions:
    - you have a small group of guinea pigs testing release candidates, why not build a similar group (or use that group) to work on a basic roadmap (keep this non-disclosure items off that list, no need to make it dirty). there is no need to make that roadmap public (no company would do that either)
    - let's create a wishlist with polling, that's the best way to find out what users would want to see in the core
    - (if need be, use a polling to decide on some of the features to come)
    - integrate some features from plugins into the core. if source is available and/or plugin developer agrees, use as much of the source as possible. (yes, i know about problems arising here because of different coding styles etc...)

take as much support as you can / want to get, still the same, it's your baby, so the last decision will allways be yours
    i don't see the need to make it all pro but a little step in that direction won't hurt.

if users are satisfied (and have the bucks needed), they will donate on their own will, bounties would just rise some expectations
    Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Yep, what he said.
    curiosity killed the cat

I'm always keen to hear people opinions on things that should be in there - what are some of things?

What do other people see as essential things which are missing? I cant promise I'll implement these, but I'll certainly consider them.
    Burn shows to DVD, with authoring
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

I'm always keen to hear people opinions on things that should be in there - what are some of things?
    Wow! You've asked for it, now watch this thread grow.

Some things that have been wished for before that I would like are - the option to prompt for delete at the end of watching a recording, and the ability to be notified when programs/movies appear in the guide.
    What, me worry?

New: MSI H270 PC Mate | Core i3-7100 | 16GB RAM | 275GB M.2 2280 SSD | 4TB + 2TB HDD | Zalman Z3 Case | Win10
    Old: Biostar TZ77B MB | Core i3 2120 | 4GB RAM | 128 GB SSD | 2TB HDD x 2 | Antec 302 Case | Win7x64
    HDHR Prime | HVR2250 | PCH A-110 | PCH A-100 | Harmony 650 & 700 remotes | Comcast | Schedules Direct

Quote Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
    - let's create a wishlist with polling, that's the best way to find out what users would want to see in the core
    I strongly echo this request. This is one of two main effects I was trying to achieve with my suggestion for a bounty system.

Quote Originally Posted by HtV View Post
    Aahhh, that's good, make him work for the money.
    Well, GBPVR is clearly a "labor of love" and I fully respect and admire that. By the way, he wouldn't HAVE to "work for the money" -- collecting a bounty would be solely at his discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by HtV View Post
    serious: who's going to decide whether a feature is implemented right or not?
    Yes, there's one of the two complexities (the other being how to set up "escrow"). There would need to be some arbiter (maybe a committe?) to make this decision.

But given Sub's talent for creating great features, I think it would usually be VERY simple for the arbiter(s) to decide if a feature is developed enough to have a bounty awarded for it.

Ultimately this is a moot issue, since Sub doesn't like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KingArgyle View Post
    There is a donate button at the top of the page. Just include a message with your request, and if the price is large enough, I'm sure sub can be persuaded to add anything. After all, everyone has a price (whether they want to admit it or not).
    I have donated in the past and intend to do so again.

There is, however, in my opinion a BIG difference between making a donation as a thank you and making a payment for a requested feature.

When "paying" for a requested feature, I think there should be a mechanism for publicly tracking it -- especially if a lot of other people may want the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KingArgyle View Post
    What I would like to see is actually a Roadmap, or what is coming down the road. I know a sub has a list of items, that he wants to work on, but with out a public road map, it's hard for the community to jointly vote on what they feel is the most necessary items or features they want to see.
    Sub doesn't seem to want that. I'll be interested to hear his thoughts on a "polled wishlist," also discussed in this thread.

I think that would be a great step!

Quote Originally Posted by fbachhofner
    Sub doesn't seem to want that. I'll be interested to hear his thoughts on a "polled wishlist," also discussed in this thread.
    I dont want to personally create and run a polled wishlist myself, but I'd certainly follow it with interest if you create one. I'd be interested to see what people think are the important features, and within reason I'd consider implementing any features that seem to be widely desired (keeping in mind considerations mentioned in http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?t=23966 and the time required to implement said features).