Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Schedules Direct Announces Initial Pricing

You'd just pay one fee per household. Often stores would dob you in as owning a TV after you'd buy one. (Damn you Noel Leemings, I havnt forgiven you yet!!)

Back in my flatting days, I remember the man with the clip board arriving at the door and asking if we had a TV in a premises. The sound of the TV was blaring from the lounge down the hall, though not visible. I said 'No', and there was an uncomfortable silence as we looked at each other for a couple of seconds. Then he left

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    It's more the cheap bastards than can afford it, but just dont want to. If you cant afford to pay for it, then I'm cool with that. It certainly doesnt put you in the "cheap bastards" category, which I reserve for those that choose to be reluctant to remove the rubber band from their wallet even though its bulging with cash.

In all honesty, I can understand that some people will not be able to go with Schedules Direct for whatever reason, but I want to encourage as many people as possible to use this service - and if they do that, hopefully we'll see it down around the $20 per year mark after this initial three months.
    Hey, I'm a "cheap bastage" and yes, I can afford, although I don't like to

I think $15 for 3 months is a reasonable "demo price" - considering how much I've sunk into my PVR already If I don't like it, then I'm not out much - If I do like it, then hey, they might lower the price.
    GBPVR Media Center: 2 TwinHan DTV 3250's (OTA HD), 1 PVR150MCE U-Verse STB), AMD 3200+, 1 GB RAM, 250/300 GB HDDs, ATI x800
    2 MediaMVPs

You'd just pay one fee per household. Often stores would dob you in as owning a TV after you'd buy one. (Damn you Noel Leemings, I havnt forgiven you yet!!)

Back in my flatting days, I remember the man with the clip board arriving at the door and asking if we had a TV in a premises. The sound of the TV was blaring from the lounge down the hall, though not visible. I said 'No', and there was an uncomfortable silence as we looked at each other for a couple of seconds. Then he left
    Wow! That's crazy! Was this some sort of government initiative to gather revenue or were they trying to limit TV usage?
    GBPVR Media Center: 2 TwinHan DTV 3250's (OTA HD), 1 PVR150MCE U-Verse STB), AMD 3200+, 1 GB RAM, 250/300 GB HDDs, ATI x800
    2 MediaMVPs

Quote Originally Posted by flyswatta View Post
    Hey, I'm a "cheap bastage" and yes, I can afford, although I don't like to
    Hey - it was a political statement. Us holdouts won, and the broadcasting license fee was abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by flyswatta View Post
    Wow! That's crazy! Was this some sort of government initiative to gather revenue or were they trying to limit TV usage?
    I don't know about NZ but in the UK the TV was non-commercial, at least the BBC. The license fee supported the Beeb. They had vans with equipment that could detect an operating TV set and would cruise around the neighborhood looking for un-licensed TV's. A TV license was 75 pounds per year, IIRC. If you were blind, it was half-price. They also had radio-only licenses. When we lived there (Scotland) in the early 80's there were four channels, IIRC...BBC1, BBC2, ITV, and Channel 4. The BBC had lots of decent stuff. ITV ran a lot of US stuff, The Dukes of Hazzard was real popular at that time, as was Dallas. Channel 4 was pretty new at the time. I remember them showing American football on Sunday nights. ITV and Channel 4 were commercial. This was before any of the satellite stuff was available so I imagine it's changed a lot since then.

Lots of countries require radio and TV licenses. Folks in the U.S. often don't realize how lightly taxed we are, compared to many other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Lots of countries require radio and TV licenses. Folks in the U.S. often don't realize how lightly taxed we are, compared to many other countries.
    well, I knew there was a good reason that we threw all that tea into the harbor
    Are you trying to make sure I get nothing done today?

I don't know about NZ but in the UK the TV was non-commercial, at least the BBC.
    But doesn't the BBC have commercials now too, or is that just the other stations?
    They had vans with equipment that could detect an operating TV set and would cruise around the neighborhood looking for un-licensed TV's. A TV license was 75 pounds per year, IIRC.
    Crazy... I didn't know about the detection attempts. The license is (or was) per TV too, right?

If you were blind, it was half-price.
    Mighty big of them.

Doesn't keep us from bitchin' though. Seeing what other country's taxes are like is why we refuse to give up our guns.

Quote Originally Posted by wtg View Post
    Doesn't keep us from bitchin' though. Seeing what other country's taxes are like is why we refuse to give up our guns.
    http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/secondamendment

Are you trying to make sure I get nothing done today?

I don't know about NZ but in the UK the TV was non-commercial, at least the BBC. The license fee supported the Beeb. They had vans with equipment that could detect an operating TV set and would cruise around the neighborhood looking for un-licensed TV's. A TV license was 75 pounds per year, IIRC.
    Same thing here in sweden - the four swedish national non-commercial channels are supported by licensing fees. I think we pay about US $180 per year, or so.
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

Tax

Hey - it was a political statement. Us holdouts won, and the broadcasting license fee was abolished
    Yes, but general taxation got increased instead...
    "Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip!"

--= Win7, C2D 2.93 GHz, ASUS 9400GT Silent, 2GB Ram, Few HDD's, 3TB unRAID server, Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma via HDMI, 40" 1080i LCD via VGA =-- * PVR2000 Analog PCI / Avermedia DVB-S PCI / Hauppauge 2200 DVB/Analog * PCH GBPVR Client * *BD-E6500 w/ NPVR client*