Thread: LOL - Chipmunk Radio

LOL - Chipmunk Radio

Went to listen to the radio this morning and I get a 2 second burst of super fast chipmunk style audio followed by a 3 second gap, and then 2 seconds of super fast again.

It appears to be on Five Live mainly

It's very funny, but not how it should be....

I will post logs in a moment
    Elmo Putney

Logs
    Elmo Putney

Wonderful - I like it.

There's something about 5 Live and 5 Sports Extra (possibly bitrate) which means they won't play at all for me using my normal audio decoder (MPA Decoder) where all other channels work fine.

Do you have the MainConcept Audio Decoder registered on your machine? If I force the dvbtr service to use it, I get the chipmunk effect as well but other channels play fine.

If you've recently installed any multimedia software which included a new audio decoder, this could explain it. I need to look at this stuff further as there doesn't seem to be a single decoder which likes all of the channels (probably fixable in my code).

If you open the Dvbtr.grf file (in the Graphs folder) it will show you which audio decoder is being used.

Cheers,
    Brian

I'll have a look later, it is very amusing though
    Elmo Putney

This is the same problem that I have been having - also on BBC World Service as well.
    Graph edit says that AC3filter is being used - for Chipmunk Radio
    I have also tried to use MPA decoder which produces no sound at all on the problem Channels, this must be a wierd bitrate that is being used by the chat radio stations.
    I have had this happen since going to DVB-T R version 1.3 - don't think it was a problem on 1.2, also the Compro VideoMate software seems to cope OK

Quote Originally Posted by Lao Pan View Post
    also the Compro VideoMate software seems to cope OK
    Yeah but that was probably written by people cleverer than me.

OK folks, I've found what the problem is but I'm not sure of an easy fix - it'll more likely be a hard-coded hack initially. It's not a bitrate issue, the audio streams for those three radio channels are encoded as 'Single channel', i.e., mono.

I'll try to upload a bug-fix version to the wiki tonight with a hack to fix this but it'll take time to work out a more elegant solution in the long term.

Cheers,
    Brian