Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming to other networked PCs

I'd love to be able to use the web interface (or any other interface) to stream around the local network. I suppose I could always mount windows file shares, but I'd prefer to use the web interface.

Bonus points for love down-encoding so, for example, I could stream at a much lower bit-rate if I happened to be at the office and wanted to watch remotely.

It seems like using something like VideoLan would allow me to do most of this, but it'd be nice if it were integrated into GBPVR. If anyone has any VideoLan faq's or how-to's to integrate with gbpvr, that'd be helpful!

Thanks for such a great product.

I'm not supporting it, but you could probably roll-your-own network client, by editing the following two settings in the config.xml:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">
    &#60;RecordingServiceLocation&#62;tcp&#58;//localhost&#58;7968/RecordingRemote&#60;/RecordingServiceLocation&#62;
    &#60;DatabaseConnectionString&#62;Provider=Microso ft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=&#34;.&#92;gbpvr.mdb&#34;;User Id=admin;Password=&#60;/DatabaseConnectionString&#62;[/QUOTE]

This obviously wont do any reencoding, but it can be used to give the full GB-PVR interface for scheduling/recording/playback.

Sub,

Do you see this as away to watch LiveTV on a networked PC client?

Thanks,

Bryan

Yes, you probably could in timeshift mode, but you&#39;d need the recordings and livetv directorys configured the same on both ends (e.g. both use f:&#92;recordings or similar, local directory on server, share on client).

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sub @ Feb. 14 2005,10:58)]I&#39;m not supporting it, but you could probably roll-your-own network client, by editing the following two settings in the config.xml:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">
    &#60;RecordingServiceLocation&#62;tcp&#58;//localhost&#58;7968/RecordingRemote&#60;/RecordingServiceLocation&#62;
    &#60;DatabaseConnectionString&#62;Provider=Microso ft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=&#34;.&#92;gbpvr.mdb&#34;;User Id=admin;Password=&#60;/DatabaseConnectionString&#62;
    This obviously wont do any reencoding, but it can be used to give the full GB-PVR interface for scheduling/recording/playback.[/QUOTE]
    Sub,

I assume that I would change &quot;localhost:7968&quot; in the config.xml on the remote PC to something like &quot;video-server:7968&quot;, where the &quot;video-server&quot; is the name of the PC that contains the tuner cards. But what would I change in the DatabaseConnectionString entry to point to the video-server?

Thanks,

Bryan

Quote[/b] ]I assume that I would change &quot;localhost:7968&quot; in the config.xml on the remote PC to something like &quot;video-server:7968&quot;, where the &quot;video-server&quot; is the name of the PC that contains the tuner cards.
    yes

Quote[/b] ]But what would I change in the DatabaseConnectionString entry to point to the video-server?
    Replace &quot;.&#92;gbpvr&quot; with the path to gbpvr.mdb on a server (so it would have to be over a mapped drive).

Hi,

I&#39;ve tried this. It seems to work a little bit:-)

When watching a recorded movie - it works
    When watching live tv or a pending record, the network traffic goes up to 60% (of 54 MBIT), but then nothing happens.

Should I change something else ?

Bye,
    Sebastian

I&#39;ve never tried it, but I cant see any reason it wouldn&#39;t work. The log files may give you an indication of whats going on.

Sub,

It sounds like you don&#39;t want to support this capability for some reason. That&#39;s fine. But, I think alot of people have asked about this kind of capability in the past. If you could take 5 minutes and setup a couple of your machines to test this, I&#39;m sure everyone would appreciate it. I tried it and got an error when I try to start liveTV (Failure playing back file). I looked at the logs but could not figure anything out.

If you could get it to work, you could share your config.xml settings. If it failed, you could look at the logs and see if it is anything you could fix or not. If not, so be it. If you could fix it, you would have a significant new capability.

Thanks as always for your help and for sharing GB-PVR with the rest of us.

Bryan

Quote[/b] ]It sounds like you don&#39;t want to support this capability for some reason.
    Primarily because I&#39;ve never tried it so I&#39;m not aware of what issues you&#39;ll encounter.

Quote[/b] ]If you could take 5 minutes and setup a couple of your machines to test this, I&#39;m sure everyone would appreciate it. I tried it and got an error when I try to start liveTV (Failure playing back file). I looked at the logs but could not figure anything out.
    I&#39;m in the middle of some other things at the moment, so dont really want to risk upsetting my environment, but if you send me your logs I&#39;ll take a look. It may contain something more obvious to me.