Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Slimm GB-PVR Helper error'

'Slimm GB-PVR Helper error'

Hi Guys

I've got a slight problem with GB-PVR or Slimm GB-PVR, when the computer is loading up after a restart a window with an error message pops up:

'Slimm GB-PVR Helper error, Could not start GB-PVR Recording service'

The recording service is definitely running. I have uninstalled Slimm GB-PVR and then re-installed it but the error still pops up. I have completely uninstalled GB-PVR and reinstalled it from scratch but the error message still pops up.

I've had a look through the logs and I think this line in the log may have something to do with it:

[2008-12-14 13:56:02.317 ERROR [4] Exception whilst restarting recording service
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service GB-PVR Recording Service on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: An instance of the service is already running]

I've attached the full log, has anyone come across this error before I have searched the forums but I couldn't find anything.

I've been running GB-PVR on my XP pc for over a year and this has never come up I've just installed GB-PVR on my Vista pc and it pops up everytime I turn the computer on or when I restart it.

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Safwaan; 2008-12-14 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Safwaan View Post
    Hi Guys

I've got a slight problem with GB-PVR or Slimm GB-PVR, when the computer is loading up after a restart a window with an error message pops up:

'Slimm GB-PVR Helper error, Could not start GB-PVR Recording service'

The recording service is definitely running. I have uninstalled Slimm GB-PVR and then re-installed it but the error still pops up. I have completely uninstalled GB-PVR and reinstalled it from scratch but the error message still pops up.

I've had a look through the logs and I think this line in the log may have something to do with it:

[2008-12-14 13:56:02.317 ERROR [4] Exception whilst restarting recording service
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service GB-PVR Recording Service on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: An instance of the service is already running]

I've attached the full log, has anyone come across this error before I have searched the forums but I couldn't find anything.

I've been running GB-PVR on my XP pc for over a year and this has never come up I've just installed GB-PVR on my Vista pc and it pops up everytime I turn the computer on or when I restart it.

Any help would be appreciated
    Is the message in a balloon or a window?
    Akasa Zen case, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4.00Gb Ram, Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890, Terratec Terratec Cinergy 2400i Twin Digital Tuner, 1050Gb storage, Windows 7 Home Premium.
    See my blog for releases, HD wallpapers, movie, game and anime reviews and more.

Arrow

I've done a small update, try downloading this and trying again.
    Akasa Zen case, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4.00Gb Ram, Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890, Terratec Terratec Cinergy 2400i Twin Digital Tuner, 1050Gb storage, Windows 7 Home Premium.
    See my blog for releases, HD wallpapers, movie, game and anime reviews and more.

I'm going to try this version as well. I wrote in the wishlist thread about trying to suppress these messages (windows not popups) as they occur occasionally on reboots/wake and there never seems to be a problem with the tuner or recording service.

thanks
    Silverstone LC10M with iMON
    Gigabyte 780G+4850e, AMD 6570
    Blackgold BGT3620, Harmony 555 Remote
    Win7 32-bit, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by b00sfuk View Post
    I'm going to try this version as well. I wrote in the wishlist thread about trying to suppress these messages (windows not popups) as they occur occasionally on reboots/wake and there never seems to be a problem with the tuner or recording service.

thanks
    Yeah, I responded to that...

I just downloaded and installed this patched version. I don't get the window any longer, it seems to have just changed the message to a balloon popup. Is there a setting somewhere to change how long Slimm GB-PVR waits before checking the tuner status during a restart? It seems to check too quickly for my PC. On nearly every restart I get the "service not started" message, but the service does start and work fine. If I could add another second or two before the check I think all would be well.
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, Nvidia GT710, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 4.2.4
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
    I just downloaded and installed this patched version. I don't get the window any longer, it seems to have just changed the message to a balloon popup. Is there a setting somewhere to change how long Slimm GB-PVR waits before checking the tuner status during a restart? It seems to check too quickly for my PC. On nearly every restart I get the "service not started" message, but the service does start and work fine. If I could add another second or two before the check I think all would be well.
    Is this when coming out of standby or when starting the machine for the first time or restarting? If it is from start or restart, you can employ a startup delayer to delay items as you need them. Though if you do use one of these, you'll need to uncheck the startup options in Slimm GBPVR's configuration as it will automatically put itself back in the Startup folder if it's not there.

It's when I restart the recording service. After watching it closely, I think it has something to do with MVPTrayIcon.dll loading on the restart. That dll lets me monitor MVP activity from my PC, so I don't reboot while someone is watching something via one of the two MVP's in other rooms. Perhaps that dll is delaying things just enough so that Slimm GB-PVR doesn't see the recording service started in time?

I nearly always get the warning, but the recording service does restart and all is well.

BTW, Slimm GB-PVR Rocks!

Question

It's when I restart the recording service. After watching it closely, I think it has something to do with MVPTrayIcon.dll loading on the restart. That dll lets me monitor MVP activity from my PC, so I don't reboot while someone is watching something via one of the two MVP's in other rooms. Perhaps that dll is delaying things just enough so that Slimm GB-PVR doesn't see the recording service started in time?
    Please could you zip up your logs or let me know how many times Slimm GB-PVR is trying to restart the recording service?
    • To zip up the logs, go to Slimm GBPVR/Tools/Report Error.
    • Or to find the information yourself in the logs, goto Slimm GBPVR/Tools/Tray Configuration/Logging/View Current Log and look for "has GB-PVR recording service crashed? IsRunning=". I want the highest ever number after the equals sign.

BTW, Slimm GB-PVR Rocks!
    Thanks!

All I see is "has GB-PVR recording service crashed? IsRunning=True" and something about count=0. Logs attached for your review. :-)

Thanks!
    Last edited by HarryH3; 2009-01-28 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Deleted zip file after app was fixed.