Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DirectTV IR Help Needed

Well, I changed to DirecTV on Friday, and changed over GBPVR yesterday. I got the newest HD box from Direct (H23-600) and had no problem. My universal remote didn't have a built in setting for the remote so I had to learn the keys I wanted. No biggie, just a little time consuming. As for GBPVR, I relearned the commands into IRServer Suite, changed Schedules Direct over to Direct from Dish, and it went like crazy. No issues with the MCE remote "bug" at all.

I had problems getting HIP to learn the commands of about half the keys from a DirecTV H20-100 remote, even with 5 different attempts. It probably does the same thing as the D12 as far as a different code for each time the same key is pressed. The ones that worked had a length of 107. The other were 83 and another number over 107. There were certain keys I could never get to capture a length of 107. Since I have a Harmony remote I programmed it as an H20-100 and I was able capture the keys as a length of 107. I haven't noticed a problem yet for channel changes.

NPVR | Athlon XP 5000+ 2 GB RAM | Asus EAH3450 | Hauppauge HVR-1600 & Colossus | MS MCE Beanbag
    Harmony 659 | RF keyboard | Vizio 42" LCD & Panasonic 32" CRT | 3 PCH A-100

Ir Server Suite is the Answer!

yep, works fine with IRSS...learned the buttons first time..
    a few would learn double digits but i just made sure to press the button as quickly as possible to avoid it..about 5 mins to program them all..
    i added an 'exit' key after blasting the digits to clear the osd menu so now as fast as ever..

i'm afraid HIP doesn't understand as many 'protocols' as IRSS..
    this just cements my change to IRSS..it has handled everything so far and works well in all os's..

but nice to know there's a hardwired option as well..[the serial/usb cable]
    Hardware: HDHR Prime, HDPVR 1212, Raspberry pi2, VFD display w/LCDSmartie

I actually coded a C# app that sends the DirecTV commands over serial. I've been using it for a good year now. I believe it only works with the newer boxes. I could whip up an installer and wiki page for it if someone else would see a use for it.

my new box only has usb inputs...both this one and the hd box [h20-200 i believe]
    i bet it is only a serial port disguised as a usb port...after all, usb is 'universal serial bus'
    notice how the plug on old boxes [the phone style connector] has only 4 connectors like usb?
    i bet they map directly to the usb plug also from what i read..
    quick test on my usb port shows it has power [12v] so i guess it really is pseudo usb..

will have to look into this further..usb channel changes would really be nice...plus lots of other commands available too..
    [discrete stb on/off etc.]
    i think maybe it's like the one on wiki just with usb on both ends...
    i wonder if a usb-transfer cable would work? hmmm...

The USB connector is just a serial connection, like the old serial ports on PCs. The old RJ9 connectors were also serial ports as well.

In order to use the USB connection, you need to get specific USB-to-Serial cables. I currently have 2 USB-to-Serial cables with a null modem in between them, as my PC doesn't have any old serial ports on them. The MythTV wiki has a lot of information about this: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlli...#Cable_Options

Like I said, I made a program that will write the DirecTV commands over a COM port on your PC, using the DirecTV Installers Guide V2.2.

btw, i noticed the app on wiki only has 3 digits capability...might be good to make it 4 digit capable..

i think i'll try hooking up the rx and tx lines to a serial port and see what happens..
    [and you can change the handshaking of serial ports in device manager..either software/hardware/none...even usb adapters too usually]

aha, it is just a usb null modem adapter...sweet..
    thanx for the link...
    i'd be interested in your app..[once i get a cable going]

what is DirecTV Installers Guide V2.2? reference manual?

ahh, here's a link to usb-usb cables for 19.95.. http://www.cooldvr.com/Buy.html [under sagetv section]
    Last edited by pBS; 2010-10-28 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pBS View Post
    btw, i noticed the app on wiki only has 3 digits capability...might be good to make it 4 digit capable..
    That's a good question, I don't remember if mine works with 4, but I think it would be pretty easy to fix to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by pBS View Post
    what is DirecTV Installers Guide V2.2? reference manual?
    Yeah, it contains all the commands for communicating with the DirecTV boxes via the serial port. Very handy.

I use this program with two usb two serial converters with a null modem that I got cheaply from monoprice:

http://www.gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ChannelControl

Maybe its time for an update to this wiki page.