Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New wiki for New PVR

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    The wiki would be best served if all the old GBPVR pre-Skin2 skins and plugins was simply eliminated.
    But not those users who prefer to stay on the legacies, and may have to rebuild their systems some time. (Aren't we all happy with those manufactures who maintain their websites with drivers for long outdated products?)

My point is i don't understand why there is room on the wiki for plugins and skins that say last supported version 0.97 but support for the current version have to wait for a complete wiki. I don't see a clear distinction.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    My point is i don't understand why there is room on the wiki for plugins and skins that say last supported version 0.97 but support for the current version have to wait for a complete wiki. I don't see a clear distinction.

Martin
    The only thing I can think of is that something like " http://www.nextpvr.com/pmwiki/ "was anticipated to be "live" by now. Since it obviously hasn't, then really there is no other choice then.
    Fatman_do

HTPC: AMD XP+2500, 512MB DDR (400) ~ Capture Device: Hauppage PVR-150
    Storage: 30GB OS & Recording, 160GB Post Processing & Archive
    Video Output: HD 32" TV via eVGA Geforce 6200le 256MB AGP DVI-HDMI cable out
    Audio Output: Turtle Beach Riviera S/PDIF Optic Output (Digital pass thru only) to Home Theater Receiver

Moderator | Tutorials | Community Skin | CommunitySkin-SVN

The only thing I can think of is that something like " http://www.nextpvr.com/pmwiki/ "was anticipated to be "live" by now. Since it obviously hasn't, then really there is no other choice then.
    Hiya Fatman_do, unless others took this on I'm not sure there was any anticipation for any new wiki to be live yet! I thought the thinking had been as N-PVR was in still in beta, and with no website presence for N-PVR yet anyway (AFAIK), it was safe to assume there was no need for a wiki for it yet.

Also AFAIK no new wiki was planned in advance of the new software release as I'm not sure anyone who does 'wiki-work' knew that 'the next release' was going to be so different from v1.4.7. Therefore I guess it was assumed that any immediate documention anyone wanted to publish could have rolled out on the existing wiki as it always historically did.

However I was certainly caught out by the 'new release' of GB-PVR software as it is dramatically different in some essential elements from ALL previous releases, and this makes documentation on the wiki (as far as I can see it) very difficult. Now in all fairness to Sub he did advise me not to make ANY major wiki changes until the hotly anticipated 'new release', so I just doodled around the wiki correcting some spelling and grammatical stuff. But when N-PVR came I think for those not in 'test' it was a shocker!

Now I was one of those to suggest a 'new-wiki' for N-PVR only because from my point of view I could not see how a lot of new documentation pertaining to N-PVR would sit nicely alongside current documentation on the existing wiki.

However what Martin has rightly brought up is where any newly created content for his plugin is going to exist for now! We could simply add v1.5.2 as a category but I don't think that is a very fine solution in the long term, mainly because though it is currently GB-PVR v.1.5.2x AFAICS it really doesn't have much in common with GB-PVRv1.4.7 and its predecssors in terms of documentation and (also from what I undertsand Sub's grounds-up re-write!).

Having said all of this I've been in contact with blader with an idea for an intermediary plan, that hopefully will suit everyone.

Of course I am just one voice among many and I could be very mistaken over the ease with which N-PVR will just slide in to the current wiki so if anyone else wants to take this up

very best

Steeb
    Last edited by steeb; 2010-07-21 at 08:02 PM.

I still feel a new wiki for NPVR is the way to go as having it on the original GB-PVR wiki is going to be really confusing for new users, even more confusing than when PVRx2 was introduced & that caused enough problems. But I also would have thought something would be up & running by now. Is anyone actually currently working on getting something up & running. I am also in the same position as mvallevand for my skins as the "+" version is now bigger zipped up than the forum limit so somewhere on "a" wiki I could put it would certainly help.

@Jaggy

I still feel a new wiki for NPVR is the way to go as having it on the original GB-PVR wiki is going to be really confusing for new users, even more confusing than when PVRx2 was introduced & that caused enough problems.
    Nice, I always listen to your POV and that is the same as my POV which even makes my POV more sound!

But I also would have thought something would be up & running by now.
    Why would you have thought this? As per my long post in reply to Fatman_do those whom 'what' does wiki stuff (AFAIK) were totally un-aware that N-PVR was going to be fundamentally different?

Is anyone actually currently working on getting something up & running.
    I am as per my long post, as are some others that may or may not declare themselves but that it is up to them! If anyone else has attempted to be part of a team for an N-PVR wiki or is going it alone, I am not aware of it, and if there is 'another' team, please let me know and I will stop trying.

I am also in the same position as mvallevand for my skins as the "+" version is now bigger zipped up than the forum limit so somewhere on "a" wiki I could put it would certainly help.
    Absolutely, as I stated previously there will be a workaround, and PLEASE if any wiki peeps have better ideas than mine, pipe up now

loving the hot debate

Steeb
    Last edited by steeb; 2010-07-21 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    I am also in the same position as mvallevand for my skins as the "+" version is now bigger zipped up than the forum limit so somewhere on "a" wiki I could put it would certainly help.
    I still "host" Web Radio and the AddOns on the GBPVR wiki, under the current rules I just can't document it on the Web Radio page.

Martin

Dear Martin,

I still "host" Web Radio and the AddOns on the GBPVR wiki, under the current rules I just can't document it on the Web Radio page.
    How do you want to document this? There are no 'rules' really, you can make any changes to the Web Radio page you like, its your page! But it is only a page, I think when you refer back to real old versions of GB-PVR pligins/skins these have either been marked as 'unsupported' or 'categorised' under GB-PVR v99.12 etc. How can your current page do both? Web Radio 3 is not the same as Web Radio 2? Web Radio 3 works with N-PVR but NOT PVRX2 or whatever we like to call it. You can try to put this all on one page but I think that will be confusing, which is why I pointed you at 'new content' but without you being the creator of 'new content' how do we begin ;-)

Steeb

As a starting point...

In the existing wiki, create a left column menu item called NPVR or nPVR or whatever. Stick it down at the bottom between Miscellaneous and GBPvr.com.

in the Home page, change
    Currently no documentation is available for N-PVR
    to something like
    Currently the documentation for N-PVR is very limited
    and link N-PVR to the new menu item.

In the new menu item, put in a bit of preamble explaining that NPVR is still in public beta, but that there are skins and plugins available, then a simple list of links to the various Plugins, Skins, etc.

At the very least, it will provide a single repository for what is available now.

'Encourage' the developers to keep their sections up to date. I doubt if this will keep everyone happy, but at least it's a start IMHO.

Your favorite wiki elf...

Dear top wiki elf!

In the existing wiki, create a left column menu item called NPVR or nPVR or whatever. Stick it down at the bottom between Miscellaneous and GBPvr.com.

in the Home page, change Currently no documentation is available for N-PVR to something like
    Currently the documentation for N-PVR is very limited and link N-PVR to the new menu item.

In the new menu item, put in a bit of preamble explaining that NPVR is still in public beta, but that there are skins and plugins available, then a simple list of links to the various Plugins, Skins, etc.

At the very least, it will provide a single repository for what is available now.
    Yup, actually for a change ahead of you here, we can do this even better than that! I just need to check the syntax but operational in next few days! We going to create 'new N-PVR wiki' within existing wiki!!!!

'Encourage' the developers to keep their sections up to date. I doubt if this will keep everyone happy, but at least it's a start IMHO.
    This will enable to begin the creation of a 'new wiki' but really it will need 'new content' and not edited 'old content'

All will I hope become clear soon!

Your favorite wiki elf...
    your favourite wiki demon?

Steeb