Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you not using NextPVR (yet)?

I don't think there is anything wrong with GB-PVR, and I still miss navigating in LiveTV on my NMT, but is this thread really productive? It might comfort a few GB-PVR users who want to feel they are not alone, but it could really confuse new users because I think it overstates the problems and it talks about plugins and tools that are obsolete and not supported for some time.

Martin

Still using GBPVR happily as it does everything I need. Have NPVR installed in another test partition since the first release but still does not give as good as overall solution for me as GBPVR. Had basically decided to switch when:

1. Comes out of beta - I know it is stable etc. but I'm old fashioned and 30 years experience in IT says never put beta code into production.

2. Fix/workaround for annoying aspect ratio feature (http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...-ratio-to-Fill).
    Silverstone LC10M with iMON
    Gigabyte 780G+4850e, AMD 6570
    Blackgold BGT3620, Harmony 555 Remote
    Win7 32-bit, SAF

I use comskip, and with TS files I do not get good results like I do with DVR-MS files (sometimes those get flaky too though). As I understand, NPVR does not create DVR-MS files.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, Win8, Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 6 GB (2GBx2, 1GBx2) DDR2 800, GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI Video, CM Real Power Pro 550 Watt PS, HVR-2250 & HVR-1600 analog/Clear QAM, Realtek S/PDIF, Harmony 880 in MCE remote mode w/ Gestion LM Remote Keymap.
    NPVR 2.5.9 (SAF6) Cyberlink video & LAV/ffdshow Audio Filters. Skin=Default Horizontal
    Plugins: Weather
    External Apps: XBMC, Hulu, Boxee, Winamp
    Utilities:Comskip

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    I use comskip, and with TS files I do not get good results like I do with DVR-MS files (sometimes those get flaky too though). As I understand, NPVR does not create DVR-MS files.
    You can't compare TS playback in GB-PVR and NPVR. Sub implemented metadata in NPVR which allows for very accurate seeking and I don't think improvement gets the credit it is due.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    but is this thread really productive? It might comfort a few GB-PVR users who want to feel they are not alone, but it could really confuse new users because I think it overstates the problems and it talks about plugins and tools that are obsolete and not supported for some time. Martin
    The idea when I started this thread was to see if there were a lot of users with the same problem/missing feature/missing plugin stopping them for converting in the hope that it would bump the process of getting things included/fixed in the next release or encourage a developer to start writing a missing plugin etc. etc. So is that productive or not????

In addition to the timing.info metadata, sub also added comskip offset parameters to NPVR so that you can tune the relative position of the comskip jump points. With a little tuning, I find comskip performance on NPVR is now pretty much the same as it was on GB-PVR with DVR-MS files.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    The idea when I started this thread was to see if there were a lot of users with the same problem/missing feature/missing plugin stopping them for converting in the hope that it would bump the process of getting things included/fixed in the next release or encourage a developer to start writing a missing plugin etc. etc. So is that productive or not????
    I think bumping the appropriate thread is more productive. This seems more like a way of accumulating concerns about known and perceived issues to justify GB-PVR. What is the "XP issue" for users not using the HDHR in combination with another tuner?

As examples, given the work sub and I put into getting the MVP to work in an equivalent manner and then reading comments about the MVP as one reason for staying is frustrating. Similarly, when I read this and think of the upgrade from ML3 I say why bother user are putting too many conditions to make it worth the effort.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    In addition to the timing.info metadata, sub also added comskip offset parameters to NPVR so that you can tune the relative position of the comskip jump points. With a little tuning, I find comskip performance on NPVR is now pretty much the same as it was on GB-PVR with DVR-MS files.
    I concur. I'm using comskip with NPVR and it is working very well.

I run two MVPs on a win 2000 machine but will soon be buying a win 7 machine so I will try out NPVR on it to see how it does. My big hangup has been the upgrade path from MVPs seems to be to buy another media extender.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    You can't compare TS playback in GB-PVR and NPVR. Sub implemented metadata in NPVR which allows for very accurate seeking and I don't think improvement gets the credit it is due.

Martin
    Thats great to know! I always thought TS Files looked better for some reason... I might give it a try now.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, Win8, Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 6 GB (2GBx2, 1GBx2) DDR2 800, GIGABYTE GV-N220OC-1GI Video, CM Real Power Pro 550 Watt PS, HVR-2250 & HVR-1600 analog/Clear QAM, Realtek S/PDIF, Harmony 880 in MCE remote mode w/ Gestion LM Remote Keymap.
    NPVR 2.5.9 (SAF6) Cyberlink video & LAV/ffdshow Audio Filters. Skin=Default Horizontal
    Plugins: Weather
    External Apps: XBMC, Hulu, Boxee, Winamp
    Utilities:Comskip