Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you not using NextPVR (yet)?

I wasn't going to reply to this but it just wouldn't go away from my thoughts so...

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I think bumping the appropriate thread is more productive. This seems more like a way of accumulating concerns about known and perceived issues to justify GB-PVR.
    Accumulating concerns in one place instead of all over the place is (in my view) always a good thing as often it shows that things that appear a lot of users have concerns about aren't actually at the top of their list & visa versa. As for justifying GB-PVR that isn't something that needs to be done for us as it is a proven product & the one we are using.

What is the "XP issue" for users not using the HDHR in combination with another tuner?
    I agree I haven't been having any problems running it on XP & have wondered this a few times.

As examples, given the work sub and I put into getting the MVP to work in an equivalent manner and then reading comments about the MVP as one reason for staying is frustrating.
    From what I have read the MVP support is now as good if not better with NextPVR than it was with GB-PVR so I can't see that as being a reason for not changing over, but having said that I haven't actually seen all that many reports from MVP users saying it's "all good to go now" either whereas I did see a heap of "it doesn't work" for earlier NextPVR versions.

Similarly, when I read this and think of the upgrade from ML3 I say why bother user are putting too many conditions to make it worth the effort. Martin
    What conditions?? The only message I have seen in this thread mentioning ML3 was my original message

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    Accumulating concerns in one place instead of all over the place is (in my view) always a good thing as often it shows that things that appear a lot of users have concerns about aren't actually at the top of their list & visa versa. As for justifying GB-PVR that isn't something that needs to be done for us as it is a proven product & the one we are using.
    I agree and I don't. If NPVR wasn't sub's project I think Mantis bug reporting and priority list would be great. Sub has his own priorities and I don't think this will help. but even if it did, if this was the purpose I would have supported you, especially with confirmed problems maybe in the form of johnsonx42's sticky. Instead I read a lot of FUD and no meat.

I haven't actually seen all that many reports from MVP users saying it's "all good to go now" either whereas I did see a heap of "it doesn't work" for earlier NextPVR versions.
    I agree again, again all this thread does is add to the potential myth that the MVP and NPVR don't work with no rationale for this.

What conditions?? The only message I have seen in this thread mentioning ML3 was my original message
    That was only meant as an example of from a developer perspective why I this wasn't meaningful to me.

Martin

I did once actually think about putting a bug and missing features list in my sticky. I decided against it for a variety of reasons; ultimately I thought it might be more harmful than helpful.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

Genre searching and guide coloring isn’t just another little thing.
    It’s the difference between looking at a TV Guide for hours guessing, and a working PVR.
    HP e9240f| Phenom II X4-945| Radeon HD4650 1-gig | 8 gig ram | Blu-Ray
    Windows 7 64bit | 1TB system | 1.5TB Recordings | 3-TB Library
    HDMI >> Sony 40" 1080p LCD TV
    HVR-2250 | HVR-1290 | WinTV PVR USB2 | WinTV HD-PVR | GBPVR 1.4.7

Projects: I-xmltv (Unsupported at this time) |

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_ View Post
    Genre searching and guide coloring isn’t just another little thing.
    It’s the difference between looking at a TV Guide for hours guessing, and a working PVR.
    Did GB-PVR do that itself? That sounds like the sort of thing that Alibert's TV Listings would do, which has been available for NPVR for awhile.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

Hi,
    Yes gbpvr allows genre searches using the EWA and in TV Listings. But IIRC they get the genre info from the NPVR database, and its not there yet. At last check TV Listings does not have genre colors or searches in NPVR.
    Jim
    HP e9240f| Phenom II X4-945| Radeon HD4650 1-gig | 8 gig ram | Blu-Ray
    Windows 7 64bit | 1TB system | 1.5TB Recordings | 3-TB Library
    HDMI >> Sony 40" 1080p LCD TV
    HVR-2250 | HVR-1290 | WinTV PVR USB2 | WinTV HD-PVR | GBPVR 1.4.7

Projects: I-xmltv (Unsupported at this time) |

I think something is being worked on in that area, but I'm not sure what. you're right though, it isn't there yet... I'd forgotten that. It's actually never occurred to me to want to do a genre search, even when I had a TiVo and it had the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Did GB-PVR do that itself?
    Yep, all by itself. No plugins needed.
    NextPVR Plugins: AudioAdjust | AutoRefresh | MediaInfo | MovieTrailers | ReClockOrNot | SubMenu | System

Let's reword this

To give this discussion a positive twist:

I would switch once I had

1) something similarly plain as the community skin (with a vertical menu)
    2) (!important) a database driven music plugin ("n"ML3) or MB4 as I think the project is called now. This has been my most important plugin ever and was the reason to move to GBPVR in the first place - even before I started using the PVR function.

Losing functionality is what most users are afraid of, and sometimes this fear is irrational and not based on facts (as can be read from some posts in this thread). As with most things this can be all rather personal.

For the rest, time will bring us the improvements we a are looking for so let's all be patient.
    Last edited by newyankee; 2011-01-30 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyankee View Post
    To give this discussion a positive twist:

I would switch once I had

1) something similarly plain as the community skin (with a vertical menu)
    The BlueRetroVE+ skin provides an excellent vertical menue

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"