Thread: Transcoding Live Stream

Transcoding Live Stream

When using XBMC with the 'native' live TV add-on the way it handles different audio formats is annoying. SDTV 2 channel audio is processed by XBMC and I need the PC remote to control the volume, but DVD AC3 audio is sent to pass through and I need my amplifier remote to control the volume. HDTV multichannel audio (AAC I think?) is output by my current version (Frodo) as AC3 to my amplifier, but later builds of XBMC will only output 2 channel audio. I've experimented with all the available XBMC options and there's no simple solution that fixes all these quirks.

So (getting to the question) I wondered if I could fix the problem at source: If I used XNEWA exclusively as the front end, is it possible to tell NPVR to transcode what ever stream XNEWA is using on-the-fly and force all audio to AC3?

EDIT:
    I see in advanced settings I have options for native, pvr, vlc and timeshift. I'm thinking VLC might be useful here? Where would I look to set up transcoding options for this?
    Last edited by fuzzweed; 2015-12-12 at 11:40 PM.
    Server: Win7 N | AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz | 4Gig RAM | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 Mobo | 5TB+ HDDs | 2x BlackGold Twin HD DVB-T| ATI HD 5450 | Cambridge Audio DAC Magic
    Client 1: OpenElec / XBMC | Dell GX280 P4 3.4GHz |2Gig RAM | ATI HD 5450 | SPDIF pass through
    Client 2: OpenElec / XBMC | Dell GX280 P4 3.4GHz |2Gig RAM | ATI HD 5450 | C-MEDIA USB DAC
    Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 4.4.2 Cyanogenmod 11

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzweed View Post
    EDIT:
    I see in advanced settings I have options for native, pvr, vlc and timeshift. I'm thinking VLC might be useful here? Where would I look to set up transcoding options for this?
    VLC options are setup in in NEWA but finding them is not intuitive, I think you go in via NEWA recordings. I find UJB's options are more transcoding for low bandwidth so you will like lose some HD quality if you don't know how to "monkey" with NEWA source code.

Martin