Thread: Clients/Extenders Wiki Pages

Clients/Extenders Wiki Pages

Dear all,

am thinking I may find some time to work on these pages over the next few days.

Currently this page:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Client.Client

I do not think gives enough info?

I would suggest I moved all the stuff from karyudo's great work on this page:

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Client.XBMC

regards Performance at the bottom of the page to help populate the 1st page given above?

How are feelings from the community on wired over wifi?!

cheers

steeb
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

NextPVR Documentation (wiki) admin/contributor

I still think wired is the only way for reliability. Wifi is improving, but at the same time is spreading everywhere so clashes get worse.
    I find powerline networking a fast and reliable way if cabling is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by martint123 View Post
    I still think wired is the only way for reliability. Wifi is improving, but at the same time is spreading everywhere so clashes get worse.
    I find powerline networking a fast and reliable way if cabling is a problem.
    Thank you Martin123,

as you were the only respondent I will base my wiki edit on your info.

Something such as thus:

Hard Cabling - Always the preferred option for those of us that can. i.e. a hard wired Cat5/6 cable running to an RJ45 point in the room you need it? Downside - If not living in a house with this already in place means you need to run cables. Great if you have builders in or need to take the floors up. In reality can make a lot of mess!

Powerline - Running your Network connection over the existing power cables in your home. There are devices from Devolo/Netgear/etc that allow you to do this. Downsides can be they are quite expensive to buy and they need to be on the same main circuit/fuseboard as your main powerline adaptor?

Wireless - Upside - Everyone is beginning to use it. Easy and quick to install. Downside is that with uptake of more and more people using wireless there could be a clash with a neighbour. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere? Prob not so good with HD?

Brian, have added your touch web service to the client/extender page. Not sure if still in development? Can always be removed?

All of these pages do need some work!

cheers

steeb