Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I set up a fixed channel

How do I set up a fixed channel

I apologize if this seems like a silly question....
    I am trying to send signal from Dish set-top box to NPVR.
    I am using a WINTV HVR950Q. I do NOT have WINTV7 because the install says I need their tech support to approve letting me use it on a netbook?!?!?!
    Anyway, when I go into settings, my device DOES show up (it shows up as two devices, I assume one analog one digital).
    I have read through the furums and I think I understand that I just need to set it up as "fixed channel, external source"
    The problem is,, when i click on "import" it opens up a search box and it wants me to import a file from my computer - this is the part I don't understand.

Additional info, when I do a channel scan I get no results on either of the tuners listed

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pattykmn View Post
    HVR950Q...shows up as two devices, I assume one analog one digital
    It probably shows up as ATSC and QAM, neither of which is analog. Without WinTV7, you would have to use Option 2 on the Wiki's SoftPVR page to add analog support.

Thanks!

I followed the steps to add my device into the configuration file - but i didn't have to because it's already there, exactly like the examples show. So I went back into nPVR, I clicked on "import" and when I chose the analog file, it said nothing could be imported because nothing had ever been exported.
    You are right, my tuner shows up as ASTC and QAM. I have tried scanning channels both with A/V cables and also with Svid, to no avail

Option2 on this page is the one he's talking about

http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki....uppaugeSoftPVR

I was able to follow those directions pertaining to softPVR, but for WINTV7 I don't have any bat or batch files, it just downloaded a setup application

I guess the wiki isn't exactly clear on this point, but the batch file the instructions talk about is in that SoftPVR.zip file download.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then,,, I thought that might be the case, so I put the softPVR and the WINTV7 in the same "downloads" folder, I unzipped the softPVR, found the batch file, right clicked and ran as admin -- a "DOS" looking screen popped up and went away very quickly -- then I closed and reopened nPVR but nothing has changed, no third (or analog) tuner shows up, and scanning still begets zero results.
    I read in other threads about clicking import and chosing fixed channel and other device <--- ii don't understand this part at all (sorry for being such a newbie); When I click import it wants me to choose a file, yet each xml file I chose gets me an error message telling me that no channels were imported because none were ever exported -- I don't understand where or how i can chose fixed channel and other device?

Thanks for all your help - hope I'm not too frustrating for you ;-)

try opening a command prompt as admin, then cd to your download directory and run the batch file that way. I'm not sure it works just by double-clicking on it, probably missing a command like "cd /d %~dp0". If it doesn't work, post the output here.

the import button you're clicking is the wrong one. Import your EPG channels in Device Setup for your analog device, not the "Import Channels" button on the main devices screen... that import is for something else. but you need to get your analog device showing up first, which won't happen until you get SoftPVR installed.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 2013-11-03 at 02:58 AM.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

I do understand command prompt (not quite sure how to do as admin, I am the only user on this new netbook if that matters?) and i understand "cd" means change directory, so in my case it would be "cd DOWNLOADS" (I think? because "DOWNLOADS" is the folder where I put things that I've personally added/downloaded)---- beyond that i didn't really understand the rest of your suggestion; I don't understand "cd /d %~dp0"

I did use this device and the WINTV software on my old laptop, and I don't really recall using anything analog -- I'm not using the coax cable connection, I'm using Svideo and A/V cables for audio, but they go into an adapter (that came with the unit) that plugs into the unit via micro HDMI. So am I really using "analog"? On the old laptop with the WINTV it just let me select "S video" as the input.

I apologize for asking so many elementary questions; I just don't fully understand. WINTV gave me an error saying I need their tech support's "permission" to use this on a netbook (no cd/dvd drive), which I think is crazy....