Thread: Wake on LAN (WOL)

Wake on LAN (WOL)

Just bought a BD-F6500 and installed the Samsung app. Will test and report back but would it be possible to and WOL to wake my NPVR server up. I don't really want yo leave it on 24x7 or run upstairs every time I want to use it.

Looking forward to getting rid of my PopCorn Hour box, well the wife is.
    Siemens Scaleo E, P4 3.2GHz, 2Gb Ram, Win XP, 2 x Nova-DVB-S2 Cards, 1 x Nova-DT Card, 1Tb HDD. Samsung BD-F6500

I'd love to have WOL as well, but I doubt there would be any way to create a magic packet. I live in hope though

I presume you leave your server on all the time then Martin.
    Siemens Scaleo E, P4 3.2GHz, 2Gb Ram, Win XP, 2 x Nova-DVB-S2 Cards, 1 x Nova-DT Card, 1Tb HDD. Samsung BD-F6500

Quote Originally Posted by srhutch View Post
    I presume you leave your server on all the time then Martin.
    Sort of!. I have one (well more than one really) of the HP Microservers that were available at 75 last year and that is always on as a fileshare and various servers, NPVR included. It only has a DVB-T2 usb stick and a DVB-S2 USB box attached and that is what I am connecting the sammy TV to. The main PVR is a power guzzler and goes to sleep when not in use and the popcornhour and PC clients wake it up. (Clients can connect to either server at startup).
    At the moment I am copying new recordings from the main machine across to the always-on box as both a backup and to make them available to the sammy for evaluation purposes. Currently I have an app on a tablet with WOL abilities I use to wake the main box up if I need it.

So you not using the Next PVR plugin feature of the Sammy, just accessing via a file share.

I've been using aTelent on my Android phone for a year or two to wake my server up, but it's not wife friendly.

I might look into the file streaming option for time being then.

Yes I am using the sammy npvr app to connect to the always on hp box. (NPVR is running on that box as well).
    The "old main" pvr box needs WOL and can get it form client PC or NMT and any recordings done on it are copied to the HP box and imported to the npvr database. Messy and not nice but the only way to try out the sammy app at present with my setup. Sadly the low power consumption HP box won't support all my tuners although I have now got a USB PVR150 so that would cover the sky box grabbing.

just did a quick google and found this.

looks like it wont directly be possible and would require another device to send a wakeup command (which is messy IMO).

my personal setup is just leaving the server on all the time, its also my plex server, webserver etc. you could look into triggering sleep periods for the server during times of day and then automatically wakes up, not as nice but should help with the power problem (not solve, just help).