Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Channel Change on Live TV with Colossus

Problem with Channel Change on Live TV with Colossus

NextPVR 3.1.1, Windows 8.1, Hauppauge Colossus, Verizon FIOS STB connected via Comp Video and Optical audio.

I have an issue changing channels on live TV. If I use the guide or the new up/down arrow thing, it takes FOREVER to do anything. It does finally change, but it may take 60 seconds. I use haupblast.exe for all channels. I don't remember noticing this issue in the older version (2. something). I tried this with Hauppauge "WinTV7", and there is no such delay, so it appears the Hauppauge software is working OK. My understanding is that haupblast just hands the stuff off to the Hauppauge software, but something appears to be amiss.

Any help appreciated.

More info: I turned on the TV and watched. The channel change is immediate on the STB, it's just that NPVR is taking forever to start showing it. Some kind of buffer issue?

OK, I fixed this by selecting "Restart on Live TV Channel Change". Unfortunately, I have no idea what that does (other than fix my problem) and can't find much about it. Can someone illuminate me?
    Last edited by SilverTiger; 2014-02-05 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
    More info: I turned on the TV and watched. The channel change is immediate on the STB, it's just that NPVR is taking forever to start showing it. Some kind of buffer issue?

OK, I fixed this by selecting "Restart on Live TV Channel Change". Unfortunately, I have no idea what that does (other than fix my problem) and can't find much about it. Can someone illuminate me?
    The biggest thing I have found is if I don't set my STB to have fixed resolution (I use 720p) it takes quite a while for the decoder to change resolution.

Also what's immediate for? On my STB using the remote it's almost a second per digit plus an extended wait for a timeout if I don't type 3 digits. You don't notice it when entering on the remote, but it seems like forever when it's automated.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    The biggest thing I have found is if I don't set my STB to have fixed resolution (I use 720p) it takes quite a while for the decoder to change resolution.

Also what's immediate for? On my STB using the remote it's almost a second per digit plus an extended wait for a timeout if I don't type 3 digits. You don't notice it when entering on the remote, but it seems like forever when it's automated.

Martin
    My STB is fixed at 1080. Colossus has issues with anything else. Yeah, it's kind of slow entering, but I'm OK with that.

Well, this problem is still there, so the above did not fix it. I have also noticed that the time at the left of the lower screen during live TV is just bouncing around between 0 and 2 seconds or so. It is completely unstable. I suspect this is something related to the live TV buffer, but I don't know what to try.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SilverTiger; 2014-02-14 at 02:20 AM.

I found a long post here
    http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...ith-NPVR-Addon
    This refers to a replacement for Nshared.dll supplied by Sub that appears to have fixed the same issue with Colossus. However, I have installed all the current 3.1.1 patches, one of which is Nshared.dll, to no avail. Does the 3.1.1 patched Nshared.dll contain the fix referenced in the above post?

I found a long post here
    http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...ith-NPVR-Addon
    This refers to a replacement for Nshared.dll supplied by Sub that appears to have fixed the same issue with Colossus. However, I have installed all the current 3.1.1 patches, one of which is Nshared.dll, to no avail. Does the 3.1.1 patched Nshared.dll contain the fix referenced in the above post?
    BUMP. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

that thread you found is for an older version of NPVR, so whatever fix was in that patch would still be present in any newer version.

as to your original problem, it sounds like a decoder issue to me. have you tried other h.264 decoders?
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...931#post480931
    ---------------------------
    my server: NPVR 4.2.2/Win10Pro 32-bit/AMD A6-7400K/hvr-2250 & hvr-1250 with Winegard Flatwave antenna/Schedules Direct
    playback client: Google Nexus Player running Android 8/Kodi 16.1 (last version with good 1080i MPEG-2 playback) & X-NEWA 2.5.1

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    that thread you found is for an older version of NPVR, so whatever fix was in that patch would still be present in any newer version.

as to your original problem, it sounds like a decoder issue to me. have you tried other h.264 decoders?
    I used the decoder that WinTV7 uses by default (Arcsoft). I tried all that I have shown in NextPVR. ffdshow seems a little better, but it still takes a LONG time.

I still have this problem on latest version (3.3.8). Just posting here to reactivate and see if anyone has a clue. I suppose it's possible that my Verizon FIOS box is the culprit, but it seems to work fine with everything else. Changing channels just freezes live TV and I have to close NEXTPVR and restart to get anything to happen.