Thread: Created a program to purge recording directory

Created a program to purge recording directory

Folks,

I have created a c# .net program that is designed to be called from the parallelprocessing.bat file.

When run it will:
    - read a config file that specifies recording directories along with disk quotas
    - match the current file being recorded with one of the directories in the config file
    - apply disk space quotas by deleting the oldest files in that recording directory if necessary

These disk quotas are expressed as a min free space (on the drive containing the recording directory) and/or a max disk used by the recording directory.

If there is any interest in this program I can post it with source code(visual studio solution) on git hub and probably create some doc on how to use it.

I did not want to go to that effort if there is not much interest.

I have only been using it for a week or so, but it seems to be working - no guarantees tho.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve, if I might venture a suggestion here: while I appreciate the offer of your app, and with no disrespect to your coding intended, there's no way I'd run an app whose actions I'm not totally certain of, especially if it's designed to delete files. I suspect I may not be alone. May I suggest that you add more detail about use cases, exactly what it does and under what circumstances?
    - Silent client PVR: HDPlex HS.1 aluminium fanless case / Thin-ITX ASRock H81TM-ITX motherboard / Intel Celeron 1850T CPU / 4GB RAM / 120GB SSD / TBS6982 DBS-S2 dual-tuner card / Win10+nPVR+Plex Media Player feeding LG OLED55B6V + Anthem MRX510 AV Receiver / PMC GB1 / B&W / REL speakers.
    - Noisy NAS: Xeon / Intel mobo / 16GB RAM / FreeNAS + Ubuntu VMs on VMware ESXi + 12TB RAID
    running Plex Media Server

Quote Originally Posted by liteswap View Post
    Steve, if I might venture a suggestion here: while I appreciate the offer of your app, and with no disrespect to your coding intended, there's no way I'd run an app whose actions I'm not totally certain of, especially if it's designed to delete files. I suspect I may not be alone. May I suggest that you add more detail about use cases, exactly what it does and under what circumstances?

yep - totally hear you. chicken and egg thing: too lazy to write doc until I think folks might be interested in using it.

btw, there is a flag with a 'dry run' option that lists what it would have deleted if it was running for real. The logs are quite clear and detailed.

i guess i'll have to get off my duff and do some doc.

thanks for the input,

steve

Quote Originally Posted by evans036 View Post
    If there is any interest in this program I can post it with source code(visual studio solution) on git hub and probably create some doc on how to use it.
    I suspect that this is something that folk won't need until it is something that that they do need (perhaps, to avoid the cost and effort of yet another disk) ... my suggestion would be to get a wiki user account and add it as a Utility ... http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...604#post386604
    AMD A75, 4 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N210
    1 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2
    1 x TBS 6281 dual DVB-T2
    2 x Hauppauge Nova-t PCI