Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-record Failures

Re-record Failures

Because my rules are all only record new, none of the reruns for failed recordings are scheduled. I was thinking of writing a utility do fix this but it might be better to have it as core functionality especially for Schedules Direct users. I envision the process would have two parts,

1. When a recording is marked failed in post processing, check for an upcoming matching unique_id and re-schedule it

2. in the daily scheduling, for all failures check to see if a failed unique_id is available in the guide and not also a "good" recording schedule it

Martin

For scheduling failures, it should already do this. (ie, if a tuner can't satisfy your request for your new episode, then it'll look for any other airing of the same episode)

It doesn't currently do it for failed recording attempts. Let me have a look to see what would be required...

Is there, or could there be, a PostFailure.bat and a command added to NScriptHelper.exe such -rescheduleFailed {oid}. If a user always wanted to do it, conditionally wanted to do it or not at all, he/she could decide.
    Tuners: Ceton InfiniTV quad cable card tuner (PCIe). Hauppauge 2250 (PCIe). SD HDHR Dual Tuner. Use only QAM on HDHR and 2250. HDPVR - for Fox owned channels.
    Viewing: Usually an NMT connected via MoCA. Sometimes directly on the server below. Sometimes when I travel I use an NMT served from my laptop with a portable hard-drive.
    EPG: XML from SchedulesDirect via MC2XML
    Provider: Verizon Fios
    Server: Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1

When I was considering a utility I see two failure points

- recording server not running partially helped with my second item plus this is often under my control.
    - no data (happens for my HDPVR after a power failure doesn't start STB) this can be handled in postupdateepg if necessary.

That batch file only works if the failed episode is available, I still need the second feature because there often is no way to record a show when it disappears from the guide.

Martin

I've implemented this rescheduling logic for failed recordings in the next release.

Sub. Let's say a recording failed today, but the rerun will not be scheduled for 2 months. Will NextPVR try rescheduling the failed recording for 2 months?

Quote Originally Posted by scJohn View Post
    Sub. Let's say a recording failed today, but the rerun will not be scheduled for 2 months. Will NextPVR try rescheduling the failed recording for 2 months?
    No, it will not. I wouldn't want to do that. It'll only try to reschedule the recording if another airing is known at the time.

That is my wishlist item #2 which I still will need to code because my recurring rules won't catch missing reruns. Hopefully having #1 will catch most of them in time.

Martin

If the recording that failed was on a cable network, then you should have a decent chance of picking up a rebroadcast of that episode sometime within a week. But if it's one of the National (OTA) broadcasters, then your are out of luck. It could be 2-3 months, or never, to catch that rerun.

But if it's one of the National (OTA) broadcasters, then your are out of luck. It could be 2-3 months, or never, to catch that rerun.
    I typically don't watch new shows until the end of the season because I hate investing time in cancelled shows. Sometimes this means I waste recordings (I recently decided that Bull is not for me) so catching a missing episode 2-3 months later is a good thing.

Martin