Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4K UHD HDR TVs

4K UHD HDR TVs

The new 4K UHD HDR TVs are really getting interesting. Does anyone know of issues trying to use NextPVR to record 4K content?
    Later...JohnC

System Status: Humming
    Desktop: Intel DX38BT MB - Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics
    Software: Win 10 Pro(Build 1803) - NextPVR - WinTV8
    Video: Verizon FiOS - Hauppauge DCR-3250 - Hauppauge 1512 HDPVR2

Quote Originally Posted by jcole998 View Post
    The new 4K UHD HDR TVs are really getting interesting. Does anyone know of issues trying to use NextPVR to record 4K content?
    There generally isn't 4K broadcasts, so there is no 4K content to record - at least not in the US. I think there may be some test H.265 broadcasts in Germany, and NextPVR should be able to record those.

Thank you, sub. I thought it was H.265 but wasn't sure. Glad to hear you anticipate no problems.
    Later...JohnC

System Status: Humming
    Desktop: Intel DX38BT MB - Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics
    Software: Win 10 Pro(Build 1803) - NextPVR - WinTV8
    Video: Verizon FiOS - Hauppauge DCR-3250 - Hauppauge 1512 HDPVR2

The problem will be in playback, many PC's video cards won't do hevc decoding so users will be stuck with taxing software decoding. I think it will be a rough transition for this who don't use Android boxes.

Martin

Came across this old thread. I'm having a similar question. All the new TV's are 4K. I was thinking of upgrading my NPVR rig to the new gen 8 Intel chip and using the native UHD 630 GPU and then run the PC with a 4K display desktop. I understand that all my recordings will still be 1K. My question is will NVPR and my my windows decoders upconvert to 4K? Right now I'm use SAF6 for codecs. Will my 1K records display okay on the 4K TV or will I get just a tiny display in the middle of the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by feilh View Post
    Will my 1K records display okay on the 4K TV or will I get just a tiny display in the middle of the TV?
    They will fill your screen. The decoder will decode the content to whatever resolution the source is. The video renderer will take care of the upscaling.

There are a lot of if's so hard to answer. One thing to consider is your UHD 630 port. Although they support 4k on my newish gen 8 PC my ports are only HDMI 1.4 so 4k is only 30 mhz. NextPVR scales fine to full screen and my desktop and 4k TV. You might actually be better setting 1080p output and letting your TV and do the upscaling until you have HEVC content to play,

Martin
    Last edited by mvallevand; 2018-11-19 at 11:01 PM.

Slightly OT, surely most (all?) 4K TV's automagically upscale 1080 input to full screen. Right? Or do they leave that task to the device supplying them with video? (My 1080 stuff still works, so no 4K here. )
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, Nvidia GT710, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 4.2.4
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

Thanks for the replies. Yes the TV's say they will upscale 1K HDMI inputs, but I use my NPVR machine as a computer all the time so I was really hoping to use it as a 4K desktop.

I was offereing the upscale option if your HDMI ports don't output 60hz. My experience with 4k@30 is that it doesn't make a great desktop.

For my STB where I can get 4k sports from my PVR I can't really see that much of a difference in quality over upscaled 1080p

Martin