Thread: HD PVR 2 Issues and Replacement

HD PVR 2 Issues and Replacement

Hi

I bought a second hand HD PVR 2 GE Plus ages ago and only now have I got around to trying it. I plugged it all in, downloaded the drivers, rebooted and voila - added a channel and it worked! So I then set up a load more channels and left it to do it's thing. I watched live TV a few times, it recorded a couple of times and then at some point last night the PC went to sleep. It crashed on restart and has been very sick ever since.
    With the HD PVR 2 connected via USB there were times when I couldn't even get it to boot to BIOS! Even unplugging it there was nothing on the screen which remained in standby mode. Eventually with the HD PVR unplugged and various cards/memory etc removed I got it to boot. Slowly adding everything back got me back to where I was before all this started. I rebooted multiple times and all good. Then I take a punt and plug the HD PVR back in, found some later drivers on the US site, rebooted and it all goes pear shaped again - not even the bios screen. So I went through the tear down and rebuild again and managed to rescue it.

So, to cut an even longer story short, I think this HD PVR 2 has some issues. God knows what it was doing, power issues maybe? On the plus side I did manage to prove that the setup could work with my STB, channel changing, splitter removing HDCP etc. So the plan is to buy a new device to replace it. Which leads me to my actual question - which one? The Colossus 2 should fit my server and looks like it maybe the best option at 109. Is there a better option for the money (or less!)? Sub did hint that the rocket may help with HDCP - if that's the case then is that better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    [SIZE="1"]P4 3Ghz, 4GB, 2.2TB, PVR150, NOVA-T, NOVA-HD-S2, w10. NPVR 4.0.5, 2 PCH A100, 2 PCH A110

I bought a new USB Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR2 in November 2017 and it has been flawless in its performance. Recordings from HDMI from STB, composite from a VHS player all perfect. Sounds like you had a lemon of the worst taste. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this USB device.
    Later...JohnC

System Status: Humming
    Desktop: Intel DX38BT MB - Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad - AMD HD6670 Video
    Software: Win 10 Pro(Creators) - NextPVR - WinTV8 - Total Media Extreme - VLC
    Video: Verizon FiOS - Hauppauge DCR-3250 - Hauppauge 1512 HDPVR2