Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NextPVR Android client now available

NextPVR Android client now available

I've just published v1.2.180325 of the new NextPVR android app to the Google Play store. The application costs US$6.99, which will help cover my costs, including buying another couple of android devices in future for testing. To use this application, you need to be running NextPVR v4.1 or higher.

To find it, you can simply search the Play store for 'NextPVR', or visit:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....nextpvr&hl=en

If you have any support issues, please post over at the NextPVR Android client forum https://forums.nextpvr.com/forumdisp...Android-Client

Below are a few screenshots of the application.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks good sub. I'd like to be able to see recording schedules and schedule recordings from my Android phone. I'm assuming, in order to use this, we'll have to:
    • Have androd device (i.e. phone or tablet) be on local network
    • Expose NPVR to the internet

If we expose NPVR to the internet, what ports exactly do we need to open up?
    NPVR Server: Win10 / AMD Phenom II X4 965 / 8gRAM / ATI Radeon 7700 Series / Hauppauge 2250
    Misc: HDHR Prime, rPI LibreElec & Amazon FireStick Kodi clients

Quote Originally Posted by JavaWiz View Post
    Looks good sub. I'd like to be able to see recording schedules and schedule recordings from my Android phone. I'm assuming, in order to use this, we'll have to:
    • Have androd device (i.e. phone or tablet) be on local network
    • Expose NPVR to the internet

If we expose NPVR to the internet, what ports exactly do we need to open up?
    At the moment, it's limited to local network (does auto discovery of NextPVR server etc). If it's something people are looking for, I could easily add support for entering a server address, to allow remote access (user would need to expose 8866)

I see it is only available for Android version 5.1 and up. Is there a particular reason for this? If not can you update it for 4.4 and up? Not everyone upgrades to the latest phones and tablets and many OEM's aren't pushing updates to those devices to get them newer versions of Android.

I'll gladly test it on 4.4 if you need a tester then pay for it if it works.
    ~Paul

Setup: NextPVR, Serviio, WinTV-quadHD and WinTV-HVR-955Q. Custom Roku channel developer. Feeding Tube Advocate. About me or http://chambers.pw.

If you haven't broken it at least once, you're not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by p37307 View Post
    I see it is only available for Android version 5.1 and up. Is there a particular reason for this? If not can you update it for 4.4 and up? Not everyone upgrades to the latest phones and tablets and many OEM's aren't pushing updates to those devices to get them newer versions of Android.

I'll gladly test it on 4.4 if you need a tester then pay for it if it works.
    I'd love to support versions of Android that far back, but not sure I can (due to API the app depends on). While developing the app, I was careful to make decisions so that I would be able to support back a few versions of Android, but 4.x is a long time ago now. I will look into what would be required to support older versions, but can't promise anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I'd love to support versions of Android that far back, but not sure I can (due to API the app depends on). While developing the app, I was careful to make decisions so that I would be able to support back a few versions of Android, but 4.x is a long time ago now. I will look into what would be required to support older versions, but can't promise anything.
    I understand and appreciate you looking.

Sometimes the tech industry gets under my skin forcing people to upgrade their perfectly working (for them) devices every year or so. There's no reason my tablet manufacturer to not upgrade except it would hurt their device sales. They shouldn't be able to block upgrades. Let's hope the car industry doesn't go to that model or we will all be walking.
    ~Paul

Setup: NextPVR, Serviio, WinTV-quadHD and WinTV-HVR-955Q. Custom Roku channel developer. Feeding Tube Advocate. About me or http://chambers.pw.

I kind of like the Apple model, where they directly provide the updates themselves (no middle men that you need to rely on), and they provide many years of OS updates for each device. As a developer on that platform, you can support last years iOS version and above, and it'll support pretty much everyone.

Have you considered a "try before you buy" trial download?
    Later...JohnC

System Status: Humming
    Desktop: Intel DX38BT MB - Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics
    Software: Win 10 Pro(Build 1803) - NextPVR - WinTV8
    Video: Verizon FiOS - Hauppauge DCR-3250 - Hauppauge 1512 HDPVR2

Quote Originally Posted by jcole998 View Post
    Have you considered a "try before you buy" trial download?
    I believe with every Google Play app you can return within 15 minutes for a full refund. Just test and peek fast.
    ~Paul

A new 1.2.180326 build of the Android app was posted today:
    The app now works on Android version 4.4 or above
    Now remembering and returning to the recording list you were viewing when you last ran the application.
    Clicking on a recording in the pending/recent list will now just show that individual recording.
    Fixed issue with swipe to delete/cancel.