Thread: Device lists

Device lists

I'd like to know if someone can explain something about Devices shown in the Settings.

The following screenshot shows devices for both NextPVR and WinTV while watching and recording a program with WinTV:
    Name:  NPVR-Devices-Live-WinTV.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  123.5 KB
    It can be seen that both device lists show "Hauppauge HD-PVR2 Gaming Edition Plus."

I next used NextPVR to view and record live TV and snapped the following screenshot:
    Name:  NPVR-Devices-Live-NPVR-a.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  118.3 KB
    It can now be seen that the device lists are different. Where does the "Hauppauge Siena Crossbar:1" device come from?

I then closed NextPVR and re-launched it, and got the following screenshot in Settings->Devices:
    Name:  NPVR-Devices-Live-NPVR-b.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  86.7 KB
    NextPVR is back to showing the "Hauppauge HD-PVR2 Gaming Edition Plus" device.

Finally, I opened Device Status from the tray and took this last screenshot:
    Name:  NPVR-Devices-Live-NPVR-d.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  82.5 KB
    Two NextPVR device lists showing different devices! Settings->Status does show the same device list as shown from the tray launch.

I think I need to do a little more testing to try an better characterize this situation.

Can someone help me understand this? At one point, with NextPVR showing the "...Gaming Edition Plus" device and not the crossbar, I could view live TV but received an error about "...no available tuner..." when I used ctl-k to begin recording. NextPVR usually just creates a new save stream that is split off from the live TV stream. I'm trying to make sure that NextPVR always loads the Siena device so that I can view and record simultaneously.

I hope I explained this well enough.
    Later...JohnC

System Status: Humming
    Desktop: Intel DX38BT MB - Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad - AMD HD6670 Video
    Software: Win 10 Pro(Creators) - NextPVR - WinTV8 - Total Media Extreme - VLC
    Video: Verizon FiOS - Hauppauge DCR-3250 - Hauppauge 1512 HDPVR2

The drivers for the device tell us the name of the device is called 'Hauppauge Siena'. Both WinTV and NextPVR know a lot of people wont know what that is, so just replace the name with "Hauppauge HD-PVR2 Gaming Edition Plus" when it needs to show the name (using a small list of name replacements for badly named devices). I just forgot to add similar name replacement logic in the device status call, which displays on the Device Status screen, but I've made this change for the next release.

The real device is called Hauppauge Siena though, and this is what is used any time the application needs to interact with the device.

at sub,
    Is the crossbar device that only shows in the NextPVR screenshot something that only NPVR uses since it's not in the WinTV screenshot?

thanks,
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by plausible_denial View Post
    at sub,
    Is the crossbar device that only shows in the NextPVR screenshot something that only NPVR uses since it's not in the WinTV screenshot?

thanks,
    michael
    The crossbar device and the Gaming Edition Device are the same device. The device driver software calls it by the crossbar name ... WinTV and NextPVR cal it by the Gaming name because the people that wrote WinTV and NextPVR both, by some huge coincidence, included code in the software to translate the name from Crossbar to something more meaningful ... except that the author of NextPVR forget to include the translation code in the Status screen.
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

Thanks Graham,
    I think I was looking for a reason why neither of my devices had pins on the crossbar devices. But as I read in an earlier post of yours and others, it's a driver problem.
    thanks,
    michael

Thanks to all who helped with this puzzle. I have a much better understanding of what's being shown and why.

BTW, a re-start cured the "...no tuner..." message. It seems that the HD-PVR2 must be plugged in and powered up when NextPVR starts up.