Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to view/watch with Nlite when traveling?

Possible to view/watch with Nlite when traveling?

Is it possible to remote connect with Nlite? For instance if I'm traveling and I connect to an Xfinity hot-spot, is it possible to SSH, or other, into my home machine with Nlite? Or is that beyond the scope of NLite?

Run it like this:
    nlite -server yourServer.yourDomain.com:8866:0000
    Replace "yourServer.yourDomain.com" with your external IP address or dynamic DNS name. If you have changed the default port, replace "8866" with your port number. If you have changed the default PIN, replace "0000" with your pin.
    Tuners: Ceton InfiniTV quad cable card tuner (PCIe). SD HDHR Connect Quatro Tuner (HDHR5-4US). Use only QAM on HDHR. HDPVR - for Fox owned channels.
    Viewing: Usually an NMT connected via MoCA. Sometimes directly on the server below. Sometimes when I travel I use an NMT served from my laptop with a portable hard-drive.
    EPG: XML from SchedulesDirect via MC2XML
    Provider: Verizon Fios
    Server: Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1

As mentioned above, you can explicitly specify a server on the command line, which will even work across the internet. That said, it only ever streams full bitrate streams, so there is a good chance the internet will not be fast enough to keep up.

I could not get it to connect. All I get is a cmd prompt running in the background and the Nlite app is all white.. I don't travel that often so it's not a big concern. Thanks for the tips, though!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mattman1968 View Post
    I could not get it to connect. All I get is a cmd prompt running in the background and the Nlite app is all white.. I don't travel that often so it's not a big concern. Thanks for the tips, though!
    Just checking a couple of things - you have it working locally, its only a problem remotely? Your router/firewall is allowing remote connections? ie you can open the web browser remotely and see the web app at http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8866

Yes, locally it works no problem. I tried http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8866 but couldn't open the web browser, but that could be because I tried from work. I can try at home connecting to a wi-fi hot-spot.

Yes, locally it works no problem. I tried http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8866 but couldn't open the web browser, but that could be because I tried from work. I can try at home connecting to a wi-fi hot-spot.
    Have you enabled port forwarding on your home router?
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

Yeah, you need to get the web browser working remotely before nlite would work. If it works locally, but not remotely, you almost certainly haven't got your router forwarding that port correctly.

OK, this is a quest now. The web browser shows an error. I have no idea what it means. Screenie attached. It's funny...I have a UPnP server set up and I can access my movies/recordings anywhere, on any internet connection, with my android. However, trying to do something similar with my laptop is proving to be very complicated. In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't that important. But as I said, it a QUEST now!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mattman1968; 2018-04-20 at 04:43 AM.

...I have a UPnP server set up and I can access my movies/recordings anywhere, on any internet connection, with my android.
    Your UPnP setup may have included an automagic process to configure your home router.

Your home router will, by default, act as a kind of firewall and will silently reject any data from the Internet that is not a response to data sent from inside your home network. You need to tell the router that data that arrives from the Internet and is directed toward port 8866 should not be rejected and should be forwarded on to the computer that is your NextPVR server ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

You can probably type the IP of your router (often 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) into a browser to access the router settings.
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2