Thread: Recording format changed from 1080P30 to 720P60 at some point and I have NO IDEA why

Recording format changed from 1080P30 to 720P60 at some point and I have NO IDEA why

At some point between May and july of last year my nextPVR recordings switched from 1080P to 720P and I have no idea why. nothing has changed in my hardware, or software, but I figured I'd check with you guys if you have any clue why that may be and how I can get back to using 1080P ..

my tuner is a many years old HDHR Prime.

Obviously not a hugely urgent question, but it has been bugging me for a while now and I'd like to rectify it, but from what I'm reading here, it appears to be driven by Comcast / Xfinity, and there's nothing I can do? is that a correct statement? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NextPVR is just capturing whatever your broadcaster is sending. So yes, it'd have been a change by your cable company. There is nothing you can do about it - other than asking them to change it back (which they wont do )

It was 1080i before, not 1080p, since they don't use 1080p for broadcast TV. Some cable companies prefer 720p, because the progressive video is better for sport and video with lots of motion.

Comcast changed a lot of things last year when they were changing many of their channels from MPEG2 to H.264. One of the changes was that many of the channels also dropped to 720p. Between the higher compression and the lower resolution, it freed up some more bandwidth for them to use to provide faster internet service.

If you want to see what is being sent, press Ctrl-I while watching live TV via NPVR. It will display the info onscreen.
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, Nvidia GT710, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 4.1.0, 2 Popcorn Hour A-100's and a partridge in a pear tree...
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

I have one channel Tele-Quebec that is normally 1080i, but from time to time (like after nightly maintenance) it switches to 720p for a few hours to a few days.
    Server : NextPVR 3.9.2 Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz 6GB Win7Pro, Hauppauge HVR-2250 Dual Tuner, DIAMOND ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner, Homemade fractal antenna, SchedulesDirect EPG.
    Client : NextPVR 3.9.2 Intel I7-2600K @4.5GHz 8GB, Radeon HD6800, Win7Pro