Thread: NextPVR divides up recordings the moment it writes recording-backup.xml for the day.

NextPVR divides up recordings the moment it writes recording-backup.xml for the day.

Today and yesterday, NextPVR divided up recordings running in the morning at the exact moment it wrote the recording-backup.xml file for the day. Below is a link to a screenshot of the recording-backup.xml files for today and yesterday, as well as a screenshot of the recording files of Morning Joe for today and yesterday, so you can see how their Date Modified timestamps match up perfectly.

https://imgur.com/a/9zFkS6F

Here is a backup of the logs from yesterday, July 11th, 2018:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R3g...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a backup of the logs from today, July 12th, 2018:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zNl...ew?usp=sharing

What exactly is going on? Why does NextPVR bifurcate recordings right as it finishes writing the recording backup file?
    Last edited by ChaosMageX; 2018-07-12 at 06:43 PM.

Writing the recording-backup.xml actually happens at the end of the EPG update, so the question is why does the recording restart during the EPG update. I'm not sure why at this stage.

I'm not going to have time to test it today, but I've noted it down to check. In the meantime, best to move your EPG Update time away from any recordings. Most people are pretty safe at like 2am or similar.

I am not sure that NextPVR can cope with that big a database, 700+ recurring recordings and 10,000+ files. The export seems to take over two hours.

Code:
    2018-07-11 03:32:04.798	[DEBUG][10]	ScheduledRecordings.Load()@exit
    2018-07-11 05:42:05.554	[DEBUG][10]	Exported 10268 recordings to 'C:\Users\Public\NPVR\recording-backup.xml'
    Martin
    Last edited by mvallevand; 2018-07-13 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Writing the recording-backup.xml actually happens at the end of the EPG update, so the question is why does the recording restart during the EPG update. I'm not sure why at this stage.

I'm not going to have time to test it today, but I've noted it down to check. In the meantime, best to move your EPG Update time away from any recordings. Most people are pretty safe at like 2am or similar.
    The problem is that it's already set to 2 AM: https://imgur.com/a/6bvkvti

I think like mvallevand said, it might have to do with the shear number of recordings I have. I've long accepted the fact that 3 AM to 4 AM is a no-man's-land where any recording scheduled within that time slot will fail or get messed up in some way because of NextPVR's update processes, since I rarely record anything at that hour, but lately as my number of recordings has grown that's been creeping to later and later until it's finally started to encroach on recordings that begin at 5 AM.
    Last edited by ChaosMageX; 2018-07-13 at 12:32 AM.

"I am not sure that NextPVR can cope with that big a database, 700+ recurring recordings and 10,000+ files"

…………………. and I thought my system was bad given the wife's recording habits
    NPVR Version= 4.1.0
    Intel i7 Quad Core 3200 + 16GB DDR2 Gigabyte Motherboard
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    BlackGold dual DVB T & S tuner
    60Gb SSD System Disk (Raid 1)
    60Gb SSD Recording Cache
    4Tb Media Store (WD Red 4Tb x 2 in Raid 1)

Raspberry 2 x Pi2 running OSMC

Quote Originally Posted by Bobins View Post
    "I am not sure that NextPVR can cope with that big a database, 700+ recurring recordings and 10,000+ files"

. and I thought my system was bad given the wife's recording habits
    We've been here before ... https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthrea...679#post520679
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

Perhaps the solution here maybe to move the recordings data to a second copy of NPVR (Virtual?) which is just used for retrieval/playback leaving the primary for recording only. i.e. The secondary NPVR would effectively be an archive , have no tuners & no EPG update to contend with.
    The actually recordings would not move just their database location. This would dramatically reduce the size of the primary database.
    This of course assumes the hardware is capable of running a virtual instance.
    NPVR Version= 4.1.0
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    60Gb SSD Recording Cache

Quote Originally Posted by Bobins View Post

…………………. and I thought my system was bad given the wife's recording habits
    Well, in this case it's both my recording habits and my father's recording habits. Honestly, at this point I consider myself a trailblazer, pushing NextPVR to its limits. It might seem crazy now, but eventually HAMR, MAMR, and other cutting edge hard drive technologies will make surveillance/DVR type drives with 20+ TB capacities each easily available off the shelf at reasonable prices. Sure, the transition to broadcasting 4K HDR content might offset this progress for a while, but eventually more and more users will be able to store 10000+ recordings easily and start experiencing these problems as well, so the way I see it, the developers can deal with these problems now, or later, but they will have to deal with them eventually.

That being said, I still appreciate your suggestion, Bobins, as I hadn't thought of doing that. However, I'm not sure how to create a separate virtual instance of NextPVR on my current whole home DVR server computer, and I'm currently too poor to build a separate one to offload excess recordings to. Again, one of the main reasons my father and I record and watch so much TV is that we've both all but completely given up hope on ever finding employment again.

And on another possibly related note, it would seem that 3 AM to 4 AM is still a no-man's-land for recordings. Still, I'm not sure if that's related to this issue or not, so I created a separate thread for it here just in case it isn't:
    https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthrea...-3-AM-and-4-AM
    Last edited by ChaosMageX; 2018-07-14 at 01:32 PM.

As the database continues growing this is only going to make things slower so you will need an alternative at some point. I'm sure Sub would confirm NPVR was not designed for the scale you're operating at (and most other similar "personal use" software isn't either).
    As a matter of interest, what's the spec of your hardware & what is the operating system
    NPVR Version= 4.1.0
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    60Gb SSD Recording Cache