Thread: IRSS and channel-changing batch files

IRSS and channel-changing batch files

(Hope this is the right forum to post this in - if not, please relocate it... )

I'm looking into using NPVR as part of my HTPC/media server setup. Naturally, I want to use it for watching/recording live TV from my set-top boxes, but have run into a problem...

One of my STBs is an older model, and doesn't have a 'wake on IR' option. I've been thinking about using a batch file, called from the program, to do the job. Basically, all I'd need to do is this:

IRSend STB_On
    Wait 3 sec
    IRSend channel (+enter)

Now - it seems fairly straightforward to me, but I'm not experienced with using Windows batch files... so I have no idea if there will be any issues that might prevent this from working the way I expect it to.

Thoughts...?

Do you have a Power On button or just a Power button that toggles the power? For my STB, sending the Power button will shut off the STB if it is on. What I do is send Menu - Exit- then the channel since the Menu button will turn my STB on if it is off and Exit will exit from the menu if it is already on.
    Tuners: Ceton InfiniTV quad cable card tuner (PCIe). SD HDHR Connect Quatro Tuner (HDHR5-4US). Use only QAM on HDHR. HDPVR - for Fox owned channels.
    Viewing: Usually an NMT connected via MoCA. Sometimes directly on the server below. Sometimes when I travel I use an NMT served from my laptop with a portable hard-drive.
    EPG: XML from SchedulesDirect via MC2XML
    Provider: Verizon Fios
    Server: Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Len_Lekx View Post
    One of my STBs is an older model, and doesn't have a 'wake on IR' option. I've been thinking about using a batch file, called from the program, to do the job. Basically, all I'd need to do is this:

IRSend STB_On
    Wait 3 sec
    IRSend channel (+enter)

Now - it seems fairly straightforward to me, but I'm not experienced with using Windows batch files... so I have no idea if there will be any issues that might prevent this from working the way I expect it to.
    For the avoidance of doubt ... NextPVR can run a program or a batch at each channel change. NextPVR can provide the channel number as an argument to the program or batch file.

I would expect that you can get NextPVR to run a batch file to do what you want. The screenshot shows entry of the values at ... https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthrea...640#post525640

You would put the name of your batch file at "Executable" ... That thread discusses channel changing though you would be using IRSS rather than a homegrown program.
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

Quote Originally Posted by ElihuRozen View Post
    Do you have a Power On button or just a Power button that toggles the power?
    I've already checked this - the remote that comes with the STB doesn't have it, but the Logitech remote I use provides a distinct 'Power On' and 'Power Off' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt ... NextPVR can run a program or a batch at each channel change. NextPVR can provide the channel number as an argument to the program or batch file.
    Thought so - just wanted to be sure...

One thing that might mess me up, though - looking at the IRSS Wiki, it seems that it can only store and use one set of digit codes. Since my setup currently has two STBs, with different IR codes for each, this may pose a problem.