Thread: RTL2832U FM tuner driver?

RTL2832U FM tuner driver?

I used to use the TV tuner card with FM built in. I changed to a newer quad tuner that is all digital. I now would like to use my DAB tuner stick that has FM on it but need a driver that NPVR can see. The software for the stick has a tuner but not the driver needed by NPVR. I like the way NPVR works with Kodi and would like to find a way to make it work. Any one know of a driver that will show up in NPVR to scan the US FM band?

Quote Originally Posted by UncT View Post
    Any one know of a driver that will show up in NPVR to scan the US FM band?
    If it ain't broke ... Are you able to continue using the original card? You can delete all of the TV Channels in NextPVR Settings --> Devices so the NextPVR doesn't try to use the card for TV.

NextPVR works with any device that has BDA drivers (which is, more or less, all tuners).
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

AFAIK there's no driver, 'cause Realtek made available only an SDK and some .dlls. That means no directshow interface, and only proprietary software that interfaces with that .dlls (also dab). There was an attempt to make such a "bridge" from Mediaportal TvServer Developer, but it never came to light.
    Bye,
    sdf

Quote Originally Posted by sdf View Post
    AFAIK there's no driver,
    There's this ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...659af30?auth=1
    i5 750 2.67 GHz, 6 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N710
    2 x Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD DVB-T2

I dont know if its still relevant but the early RTL2832U devices used a particular E4000 tuner chip then later ones used R820T chip which has been used for quite a few years now. If you used the latest Realtek_820T drivers from about 2012 it worked but Windows Update would download a "later" driver possibly for the E4000 tuner chip which stopped the device working. The cure was to stop the driver being updated.
    NextPVR Server - HP N54L Microserver, Windows 7 - Storage 2 X 3TB - Tuners DVBSky S952 Twin DVB-S/S2 PCIe, August T210 DVB-T/T2 USB, KWorld UB499-2T Twin DVB-T USB.
    Clients:- RPi2, Acer RL80 Celeron & Acer RL70 E-450 Nettops, all running X-NEWA on LibreElec plus Amazon Fire Stick (32bit) running X-NEWA on Kodi.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Sorry Graham, but it seems to me that the question is different.
    It is related not to the dvb part of the stick, but to the FM radio capabilities of the 2832 chipset.
    Bye,
    sdf

sdf you are right. I only need the FM tuner part for NPVR. I ran out of PCI-E slots so I can not load back in one of the older tuner cards. My only choice is to use the USB stick.