Thread: Live TV black screen was just a directory permissions issue

Red face Live TV black screen was just a directory permissions issue

I'm popping this onto the forum as it may help others searching for a solution. And perhaps give others something to smile about!

For some reason, as I was configuring NextPVR I found the black screen on Live TV, and in some cases a NPVR crash ("Next PVR is not responding") I first assumed it was my decoders, and spent a number of hours uninstalling and reinstalling LAV and SAF6, Cyberlink and so on. However given various standalone video files worked, I wasn't so sure - plus deliberately picking a non-working MPEG2 decoder (like the Microsoft Win10 one) generated a sensible error. The last log error was "Live stream expired without 15 second renewal"

It turns out that the temp directory that was set up for live streaming, %TEMP% (C:\Windows\Temp) was somehow not accessible to the running user - only localservice. So either the video recording service couldn't write to it (or perhaps the gui couldn't read from it?) ... therefore blank screen.

As it wasn't completely obvious - and I spent a bit of time on the wrong path... so perhaps it might help others. I'm not sure if %TEMP% was my setting, but it seems at some point in the history of Windows that directory is no longer accessible by everyone as default.

An easy fix is to never use any directory name that is reserved for use by the operating system. My Live TV folder is named "Live TV".
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, Nvidia GT710, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 4.1.0, 2 Popcorn Hour A-100's and a partridge in a pear tree...
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...