Thread: Does the Android app work on Roku devices?

Does the Android app work on Roku devices?

Someone I know likes my setup and was asking if I would help them set something up for them. Since using a FireTV box or stick requires side loading Google Play Store and Services, I was wondering if Roku might not require the same side loading since it does have Google Play Movies and TV (but as I understand it, not the app store) which means it has to be able to authenticate users and check licensing at least for media. So maybe it can authenticate the license for this app?

I could suggest a regular Android box but those will not play Netflix in HD, or Nvidia shields but those are too expensive to get one for every TV in the house. So I am really hoping Roku could be the answer. Anyone know for sure?

Sorry, Roku doesn't run Android, so the Android app wont work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Sorry, Roku doesn't run Android, so the Android app wont work there.
    Ahh, I did not know that. Thanks.

So I guess right now if you want to run both Android NextPVR (without having to side load Google Play) and be able to play 4k Netflix and other DRM protected services, then Nvidia Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box are the ONLY options.
    Last edited by Maverick; 2018-08-07 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    So I guess right now if you want to run both Android NextPVR (without having to side load Google Play) and be able to play 4k Netflix and other DRM protected services, then Nvidia Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box are the ONLY options.
    I have no idea what Android devices can do 4K and DRM. The NextPVR client app should be able to work on any of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I have no idea what Android devices can do 4K and DRM. The NextPVR client app should be able to work on any of them though.
    There is a guy on YouTube that maintains a spreadsheet on Google Docs of boxes and some of their specs. That is what I am going off of. There are an additional few that do Netflix at 1080p but other than the Shield I don't think any of them play Amazon Prime at all (due to the Amazon Google feud). Many other apps may require a box running "Android TV OS" instead of regular Android.

I guess the purpose of this post is to help people buy the "right" box for their particular needs.

I'm a Roku channel developer. The Google Play Movies and TV channel is created in the BrightScript programming language. Google basically created the Google Play skin and pull media just like every other app on Roku. It relies heavily on XML.
    ~Paul

Setup: NextPVR, Serviio, WinTV-quadHD and WinTV-HVR-955Q. Custom Roku channel developer. Feeding Tube Advocate. About me or http://chambers.pw.

If you haven't broken it at least once, you're not doing it right.

Next PVR on Roku

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Someone I know likes my setup and was asking if I would help them set something up for them. Since using a FireTV box or stick requires side loading Google Play Store and Services, I was wondering if Roku might not require the same side loading since it does have Google Play Movies and TV (but as I understand it, not the app store) which means it has to be able to authenticate users and check licensing at least for media. So maybe it can authenticate the license for this app?

I could suggest a regular Android box but those will not play Netflix in HD, or Nvidia shields but those are too expensive to get one for every TV in the house. So I am really hoping Roku could be the answer. Anyone know for sure?

Hey Maverick. If you'd like to access NextPVR Recordings (Not live tv) I have a work around. You'll have to install middleware, called Plex Media Server on your Pc with next pvr. Once Plex is installed on your Pc, add two media folders and Name One Recordings 1 and Name the other Recordings 2. Point these sub folders to the directory where NextPVR records, and Volia! Install Plex Client on your Roku and you should be able to access the recordings! Enjoy.

I use free Serviio DLNA program and the stock Roku Media Player (DLNA) to view recordings and Live TV on Roku's. I also add tv channels in Serviio through the NextPVR link so I can watch Live TV on Roku. No TV listings though.

Serviio is a DLNA program.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  15.5 KB

This shows all the different devices (TV, tablets, Rokus, Firesticks) that has or is using the system. It also will show what is currently being streamed to that device.
    Name:  s2.jpg
Size:  20.4 KB

This shows the folders. I have it setup exactly like my recording folders in NextPVR. All Recordings are in there. Note, it also shows the description and screen shot if you capture that or setup for online retrieving.
    Name:  s3.jpg
Size:  18.9 KB

I use the NextPVR built in URL to capture live streams on my Roku. Here are my channels
    Name:  s4.jpg
Size:  19.4 KB

Setup look of my channels. Notice the standard NextPVR URLs for the stream.
    Name:  s6.jpg
Size:  19.9 KB

Serviio has a built in Transcoder too. Works flawlessly. It takes about 15 to 20 seconds for live TV to start, per my settings. I don't want buffering over Roku WIFI.

Sample Live TV Serviio-Roku-NextPVR (Excuse my Parkinsons shakes)
    Last edited by p37307; 2018-08-09 at 03:22 PM. Reason: clarified
    ~Paul

Setup: NextPVR, Serviio, WinTV-quadHD and WinTV-HVR-955Q. Custom Roku channel developer. Feeding Tube Advocate. About me or http://chambers.pw.

To explain, Serviio lets you setup live streams. So I use the Live stream from NextPVR.
    Close Up of just the settings of the METV live stream in the above comment.

Setup look of my channels. Notice the standard NextPVR URLs for the stream.
    Name:  s0.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  15.4 KB
    ~Paul

Thanks Paul and Russ. Those are great tips.

I have decided to suggest my friend use a Xiaomi Mi box instead. Apparently it runs full Android TV OS, Netflix and other DRM protected services at 4K (most android boxes don't even do Netflix in HD), can run the NextPVR android app without side loading anything else, runs it all smoothly at a price point of about $60-$65. The only real negatives I found with this box are that it does not have a built in Ethernet port (easily rectified with a USB Ethernet adapter if you really need one) and that it will NOT run Amazon Prime Video, for those that want to use it, due to the feud between Google and Amazon (which might get resolved eventually). I think this will check all of his boxes nicely.